Railroad Forums 

• Photo of Penn Station debris dumped in Meadowlands?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#481359  by NY&LB

F45 asked:
But there are a few offroad trails near the jersey city firing range and a few what seem to be walkign trails near DB draw on the secaucus side. Is this in the general area?
Nope, the area is EAST of Secacus Jct Station , on the SOUTH side of the tracks. See my previous post to you. The area is mostly paved over or has warehouses on top of it. Secaucus Road and 16th street, see if this Google Maps like works: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... &z=16&om=0

It's under the parking lot / warehouse between 16th St and the tracks.

#481418  by Sir Ray

NY&LB wrote:Nope, the area is EAST of Secacus Jct Station , on the SOUTH side of the tracks. See my previous post to you. The area is mostly paved over or has warehouses on top of it.
It's under the parking lot / warehouse between 16th St and the tracks.
I wonder, as they were constructing area buildings, if they smashed up the 'non-art' debris (meaning column and facade pieces, not the identifible statues) for use as aggregate or fill? The pediments you seek may now be small bits of gravel...

#481753  by Don31

Its always been my understanding that everything was dumped just outside the tunnel portal to the south (east). I had a really great article about the Army Corps assisting the Empire State Development Corp. with a helo to try to find stuff. I can't find the article at the moment.....

#481761  by Steve F45

right outside of the tunnels would make a lil more sense. load it on side dumps and just dump it on the side of the row and then bury it wherever. the map isn't working, my laptop is really slow tonight here at work. But i'll play with windows.live local tomorrow and see what it looks like.

i wonder if anything was dug up when they redid the 1&9 overpass a whileback.

#482402  by joe k

FYI
There is a survivor of the demolition located at the Whippany Railway Museum.
One of the Penn Station Track Indicators is on display next to the museums ticket office.
This was salvaged from the land fill by MCCRR President Earle Gil
This item was stored in the weeds at Whippany for many years.......
There is a photo on the museums web site.
www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net

#482568  by NJTRailfan

It's too bad they weren't able to get anymore. In Whippany they have an abundance of cast iron road signs. I wish they had that many track indicators there as well instead of just that one. :(

Would've also been nice if they could've salvaged some of those lamp posts or even salvaged trhe night and day clock with the clock. Now that would've been an impressive display.

#482605  by E-44

I thought one of the eagles was still perching on the side of Penn Plaza on the 33rd St. side. Has it been moved?

And the indicator signpost for East Gate Track 1 is still embedded in the wall tiles of the Amtrak baggage check room - all the way in back on the right wall. If you ask nicely on a slow day, they'll usually let you in to check it out.

I recently found a bunch of the Tuscan Red aluminum train signs that got hoisted up on those posts (Seaboard Coast Line) in Edison, but when the antique dealer realized what he had - thanks to my friend's big mouth - he pulled them off the shelf and sold them at some railroadiana auction. I could have had them for $50 and then would have given them to the URHS.

I'm pretty sure that the map that NY&LB linked to is the correct location. I recall seeing bulldozers and piles of debris in that area on our weekly family Saturday NYC excursions in that time.

And I'm sure I saw a picture of the front side (7th Ave.) lamp posts adorning the fence or the drive of a large home somewhere in the NY/NJ area, looking totally out of scale. That might have been in the Diehl book on the demise of the station, not certain.

#482748  by NY&LB

Those light posts and some granite ballasters adorn the front yard of a house on Tinton Avenue in Eatontown (South side of street, just west of rt 35 - opposite west gate of Ft Monmouth). House fornerly belonged to a PRR executive.

#482779  by E-44

NY&LB - Thanks for that. One of my clients is in Tinton Falls. I will have to check the place out.

#482819  by Zeke

Most of the debris field was dumped around where the present day Bergen interlocking is located on the south side of the High line and just west of that location. I am sure it is still there. I think Sen. Patrick Moniyhan called it " The greatest act of vandalism of the 20th century"

#482879  by NJTRailfan

Senator Moynihan is right on that. NYC was had!

#483004  by Mr. Ed

Hey E-44. Do you work for GE?

Later!
Mr. Ed

#483774  by E-44

They rent me out from time to time :)

My pop was a lifer.

#483869  by Jtgshu

E-44 wrote:They rent me out from time to time :)
HAHAHHAHAHA that really made me laugh :)

#483964  by Jersey Jeff

Here is a photo from 1978 of one of Adolph A. Weinman's "Night" statues that once resided in Ringwood Manor, NJ.

The discussion that follows the photo gives more clues as to the locations of other Penn Station artifacts (including the other half of "Night" that sits at the Brooklyn Museum).

Here is a contemporary article about the sculpture and a NY Times article from 1998 that someone scanned and posted online.

Finally, an assembled "Night" sculpture now adorns a park in Kansas City, MO: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1181047 ... 6691onlYIK