Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mncommuter

I don't want to start the whole "everybody get paranoid about taking pictures" discussion again, but I thought this was newsworthy. Maybe Metro-North will come to the same conclusion, if they haven't already.

May 23, 2005 New York Times
Subway Photo Ban Rejected

A proposed ban on taking photographs in the subway, meant to thwart potential terrorists, has been rejected as too broad to be enforceable, the police said yesterday. The measure, proposed in May 2004, would have banned people from photographing, videotaping or filming inside subway cars and stations; the press and businesses or individuals with permits would have been exempt. After public comment and discussions with the New York Civil Liberties Union, the police considered a partial ban on photos of tunnels, control booths and other areas closed to the public, but decided against it, said Christopher Dunn, the associate legal director of the civil liberties group. ''From the outset, we have believed that a total ban would unnecessarily infringe on First Amendment rights,'' he said......

...... Paul J. Browne, a police spokesman, said, ''We don't feel the broad ban is necessary, and as a practical matter is unenforceable.'' People taking photos of areas deemed sensitive will still be questioned, Mr. Browne said.

http://query.nytimes.com/search/article ... A9639C8B63

by M1 9147

In GCT, pictures are allowed anywhere in the station except on platform areas, so that is a major concern for us all.

by Otto Vondrak

Nothing for MN to consider since there is no photo ban... the only regulation is in regards to Grand Central, as stated above.

-otto-

by AMoreira81

I was going to say it, but you beat me to it. So long as I am not trespassing (and I usually take my pictures at a grade crossing leaning on the opposite side of the ROW gate, not the side with the train), I just take my pictures as they come along.

On a related note, if the MTA were to pass such regulation restricting photography on their ROW, would it apply to Empire Service equipment too? (Sorry for being OT, but it is the MTA that owns the tracks.) Similarly, would it apply for tracks owned by other entities (Port Jervis, MTA-controlled but owned by Norfolk Southern, and the PVL?)

by Otto Vondrak

It's a non-issue. Let's move on and be thankful for what we got.

-otto-

by Terrapin Station

Neil Feldman wrote:In GCT, pictures are allowed anywhere in the station except on platform areas, so that is a major concern for us all.
Otto Vondrak wrote:Nothing for MN to consider since there is no photo ban... the only regulation is in regards to Grand Central, as stated above.
When did that become official? Is it on the books? Is it posted at GCT?

by M1 9147

Brian, there is no such rule in books, but on certain areas, there is signs that clearly state "Ticketed Passengers only beyond this point". In order to get pics there, I'd be better off asking a MN employee if there is any problems in doing such a thing. Or even better ask a Police Officer to avoid conflict. MN employees said during the ACMU excursion in December that no pics were allowed at platform areas except for the platform we were on.

by Terrapin Station

Neil Feldman wrote:Brian, there is no such rule in books, but on certain areas, there is signs that clearly state "Ticketed Passengers only beyond this point". In order to get pics there, I'd be better off asking a MN employee if there is any problems in doing such a thing. Or even better ask a Police Officer to avoid conflict. MN employees said during the ACMU excursion in December that no pics were allowed at platform areas except for the platform we were on.
Yeah, I know all about THAT sign, but if I'm a ticketed passenger, then I'm allowed to be on the platform and there's no regulations stopping me from taking photos. I'd rather get some photos and then be yelled at (with nothing they can do about it) than not take photos at all. And I'm always respectful to MTA employees and the police.

by Sean W.

I did actually get hassled taking a photo on the GCT platforms, it was of the ACMUs back when they were in revenue service. There DOES in fact seem to be some kind of rule on the matter. Doesn't matter, there isn't that much to take photos of down there anyway, what with the ACMUs gone, the M1s going and the Fs banished to some connecting trains ...

by chuchubob

Sean W. wrote:I did actually get hassled taking a photo on the GCT platforms, it was of the ACMUs back when they were in revenue service. There DOES in fact seem to be some kind of rule on the matter. Doesn't matter, there isn't that much to take photos of down there anyway, what with the ACMUs gone, the M1s going and the Fs banished to some connecting trains ...
I took GCT platform photos on the day of the farewell to the ACMUs trip.

Before the trip, there were so many photographers on the platform that nobody was hassled, as far as I could tell.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Metr ... _12_05_006

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Metr ... _12_05_008

I took some more during the lunch break, but did it rather discretely.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Metr ... _12_05_043

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Metr ... _12_05_044

Bob