Railroad Forums 

• PHL - So Long Solari

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1560028  by urr304

Whenever I saw these devices, it always sounded that it was something important! It was but it had added emphasis.
 #1561357  by ryanov

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:16 pmI mentioned the control console that operated this board and wondered if that was included as part
of this exhibit. If the board was donated to RM of PA and was Museum property there perhaps could be
an option to use this board to show how it operated when it was in service. This static display will do
for now while the fate of this board (does Amtrak retain or does the board remain permanently at RM of PA?)
is decided by the two parties. At least we all know preservation is definitely happening...MACTRAXX
They specifically mention in their page about the exhibit that it will be a static display, which is why they do not have the control console, to prevent damage to the board, as there is hope that it can be reincorporated at 30th St. Station. I guess time will tell.
 #1617669  by StLouSteve

A real solari style board still in operation--San Francisco Ferry Building. Shows boat departures and also lists rail connections on the Marin side to the Smart rail system. Great to see it working in 2023.
 #1617703  by rohr turbo

StLouSteve wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:33 am A real solari style board still in operation--San Francisco Ferry Building. Shows boat departures and also lists rail connections on the Marin side to the Smart rail system. Great to see it working in 2023.
Yes, and that Solari even lists Amtrak connections in Oakland!
 #1618268  by Literalman

Trenton, NJ, too, the last time I was there (a few months ago).
 #1618276  by shadyjay

NY&LB wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:35 pm Newark NJ still has one
It should be noted that Newark's is more of a video screen with a solari-style "simulator" running. Though in the corner of the video screen I do see the solari mark. Regardless, they've done their best to recreate the board, complete with flapping sounds (a lot better than the MBTA's version at South Station).

The advent of computers and the availability of large video screens for reasonable prices led to the downfall of the true electro-mechanical flip boards, not to mention the high cost of their maintenance, operation, and finding parts. Plus its so easy now to just input a different train name or destination into a computer-generated board, vs having to overlay a new destination over an old one.