Railroad Forums 

• Penn Station Businesses Closing.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1562216  by MattAmity90

Unfortunately guys, for all of us that have taken the LIRR into Penn Station, one of my frequented spots closed. I'm not sure if it being relocated due to the renovations or if it closed for good due to the pandemic. Hopefully I'm not only one that has eaten there, Rose's Pizzeria located above Tracks 20 & 21 just a small walk from the BIG BOARD. If you were starving or wanted to quench your thirst while there, that's where you went. :(

I know it has nothing to do with trains even though it is in Penn Station, but I just wanted to point this out. As far as other businesses, I'm sure they have been affected exponentially in these times.
 #1562230  by Head-end View

There used to be another pizzeria over on the Amtrak level near the rest rooms. Not sure if it's still there with all the changes lately.
 #1562234  by Backshophoss

Covid has made hash out of lots of "Mom & Pop"eateries/small businesses by enforced closings ,not sure if MTA(Landlord) gave them any breaks on rent
Some will survive, others will bite the dust and close. :grimacing:
 #1562288  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:49 pm There used to be another pizzeria over on the Amtrak level near the rest rooms. Not sure if it's still there with all the changes lately.
I didn't know there were two, but then again I always stayed on the LIRR concourse by the BIG BOARD and down that corridor along Track 20 & 21. I never went to the AmTrak level or all the way back there.

As far as COVID goes, even after I get vaccinated eventually, I don't think I'll ever walk the halls of Penn Station or Grand Central. I'll stick to photography outside the tunnels down the road. I don't think people like me in my demographic (25-44) and my health (healthy, but I'm too underweight) would be allowed on trains. I'll see what happens though when East Side Access opens up. Sorry if that's off subject, but I just wanted to get that out of my system.
 #1562318  by NaugyRR

MattAmity90 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:20 pm I don't think people like me in my demographic (25-44) and my health (healthy, but I'm too underweight) would be allowed on trains.
My girlfriend and I, both 29, plan to get vaccinated when available, and on the overweight side (plus she has asthma), have safely traveled through NYP and BOS this past year. NYP is a ghost town compared to what it was in the before-times and the transit agencies, and especially Amtrak, are extremely strict about masks, social distancing, and cleanliness. We never felt unsafe or uncomfortable and just behaved as should be expected anywhere else during the pandemic; we wore our masks everywhere, washed and sanitized constantly, and sat/kept away from everyone else. The pandemic has been hard, and it requires we make significant changes, but it's not forever. No one's going to be banned from traveling, eventually things will get under control, and life will begin to look like normal again after a couple years.
 #1562437  by mirrodie

Sorry to read about your thoughts on the age discrimination. You’ll be fine.
Keep your head up. We are almost around the corner!
 #1562486  by freightguy

There was an article a little while back they wanted to try to make it more upper class(over priced) like Grand Central Terminal. Forcing out the current tenants to with higher rents and so forth. Trax Bar and Grill near McDonalds fell victim also. This plan was in the works long before COVID.
 #1562557  by MattAmity90

freightguy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:34 pm There was an article a little while back they wanted to try to make it more upper class(over priced) like Grand Central Terminal. Forcing out the current tenants to with higher rents and so forth. Trax Bar and Grill near McDonalds fell victim also. This plan was in the works long before COVID.
Ugh! First we had to deal with NIMBYs, and now gentrification! I understand the renovation, but don't renovate the atmosphere. Commuters want food at a decent price after a day at work whether you rode the LIRR to Manhattan or out to Long Island coming home. I haven't been to New York since April 2019, so I will have to see for myself.

Even though I'm still young, I have the mindset of someone much wiser who can't stand people younger than me or even my own age depending on their demeanor.
 #1562562  by R36 Combine Coach

MTA also axed some longtime tenants at GCT, including Junior's, in an attempt to bring upscale. Arguably
Junior's is the most "New York" of the GCT restaurants - a Brooklyn classic with cheesecakes renowned
globally. Their retail bakery outlet at track 36 was replaced with a "TASTE NY" store, with their restaurant
on the lower level also gone.

Unless rival bakery Zaro's was paying off the MTA board...
 #1562578  by MattAmity90

I think it is about time we close the book on Penn Station businesses because even though they are a staple of traveling on the LIRR to Penn Station and Grand Central, it doesn't pertain to trains. I will say that the renovations though make Penn Station look mostly AmTrak and less like the LIRR, but it's the future of 2021 with ESA scheduled for completion by next year according to the latest projections.