Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#159956  by MetraBNSF

BNSF inbound train 1234, an express from Congress Park struck and killed a woman on a bicycle this morning around 7:45. Due to a minor freight train derailment in the same area, a few earlier trains were already experiencing minor delays. As a result, trains were not operating on their usual tracks. According to a BNSF conductor that I spoke to this evening, a local train was picking up passengers from the street crossing at Riverside on MT2. Train 1234 crossed over from MT3 to MT1 at Congress Park and was doing about 35-40mph on MT1. The woman walked in front of the stopped local and the express struck and killed her. 185 was the pushing loco and cab car 8600 was involved in the accident.

A very tragic way to begin the day, and I feel sorry for the unfortunate soul involved in this tragic accident.

Air footage from CBS2 can be seen here: http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local ... 10619.html
Last edited by MetraBNSF on Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

#159968  by AmtrakFan

My Dad's train was stuck behind it.

#160000  by MetraF40C607

Wow, doesn't this remind you of Downers Grove and the E9s?

#160520  by MetraBNSF

MetraF40C607 wrote:Wow, doesn't this remind you of Downers Grove and the E9s?
I remember seeing this video on NBC5 in the early 90's. What happened in both instances is the same where a local is stopped and the express barrels through on an adjacent track. In the past, we've talked about the "hold short" rule that exists on UP and RI, but it doesn't seem to apply on BNSF.

#160529  by JamesT4

MetraBNSF wrote: remember seeing this video on NBC5 in the early 90's. What happened in both instances is the same where a local is stopped and the express barrels through on an adjacent track.
If I can remember also in the 90's they show that tape for operation lifesaver commericals, talling people that if there a stopped train dont cross, because there mabe another train comming on another track.

I wonder did that express train blow it's horn before the crossing, and strinking the woman.

If the engineer did blew it's horn, she might not was paing attention, and went across anyway for her to get hit.
Last edited by JamesT4 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#160615  by MikeF

JamesT4 wrote:If the driver did blew it's horn
I'm sure someone's going to call me an ass for bringing this up ... but ...

Buses have drivers. Locomotives have engineers.

#162721  by Joe

If the engineer blew his horn or not, the gates were down and the stupid woman should not have crossed.

#162784  by Realityrail

The late Chris Knapton of Metra gave me a copy of the tape. It was very poor as I am sure it was a copy of a copy of a copy, etc.

The engineer did blow his horn, but the woman did not stop until it was too late.

And while North America has engineers in locomotives, engineers in the rest of the world make calculations and use slide rulers! The use of the word driver to describe the operator of a locomotive, based upon the size of the earth, more common than engineer.

If you are still not clear on that, I'll ring you up when next on holiday (and to think that the English spawned the language we use!!)

#163068  by MetraF40C607

Actually, UP only has the stop short rule in place for freights unless it's like a coal train and he has no chance too stop. Then the Metra will ease off a bit and let the freight scream through first and enter as the freight is passing. On the UP, they have very good communication between each other on where each train is so they can plan their meets accordingly. Even the freights ask the Metras where they are at so they can find out if they can just keep going or if they know they have too stop. I'm not certain on the UP rule, but I have seen two trains in the same station at the same time, MANY times. I believe the rule is that if they meet at the station, one pulls in, stops and waits for the other. The other pulls in and must wait for the first one too leave. After he's gone, the second train can go.