Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1088339  by Alek9997

Bit of a yes/no question, but were any of the ex-NYC RS-3's still in the 1950's lightning stripe scheme at the beginning of the PC era? All the photos I have seen of the RS-3's in the late NYC era were in the cigar band scheme, but I was wondering if maybe at least one made it into PC still in lightning stripe.

Thanks
 #1093832  by bill8106

I asked this question a few years ago in a broader sense (did ANY unit make it to PC still in lightning stripes) and unfortunately, it looks like the answer is no.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 95&t=30987

If you trust the captions in books and on websites, I've seen pictures of geeps, E and F units still in lightning stripes as late as 1966, but not any RS-3s.
 #1094410  by Noel Weaver

In as much as the New York Central was repainting the RS-3's into the simplified black scheme way back in the late 1950's I would think by the time of Penn Central ten plus years later that all of the ones in service had been repainted.
Noel Weaver
 #1114595  by theastralcity

I've seen evidence that some of the NYC electrics made it to PC with their stripes. Pictures of several T-Motors in stripes are dated until at least 1969. Sadly, I haven't been able to find any diesels that did. That's not to say though that one can't do it on a model railroad for sure. I've got an ex-NYC E8 in stripes on mine set in 1970. Why? Because I like it.
 #1115196  by Backshophoss

All the RS-3's that worked the Harlem line were basic black dip around the PC merger,a few years after the New Haven "shotgun"
merger, RS-3's and GP-18's used on the Harlem/Hudson lines were swapped for FL-9's in a mixed bag of NH colors(patched) and PC black dip.