Railroad Forums 

• PC local, Monroe County early 1976 ID

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1455359  by nydepot

There are a series of unlabeled slides in my collection from Rochester someplace, taken in early 1976. Do any of the locations look familiar? Thanks.

Charles
002978.jpg
002980.jpg
 #1455365  by RailKevin

The top photo I think is Washington Ave facing toward Rock Beach Road (East side of the Genesee River in Irondequoit). This would then be the old Hojack line (State Street Branch of PC-soon-to-be-Conrail?).

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2491585 ... 312!8i6656

Check out the top of the roof and chimney over the engine. Also, most of the power poles appear to be the same. I have been to this area before and it instantly seemed familiar. :-)
 #1455374  by CPSmith

Boy, I want to agree with Kevin on Washington Ave., but I'm not 100% sure - maybe it's the compressed telephoto lens look. The other photo? Yeah, that's the G in the background, so the photo was taken from the Atlantic Ave. side, on RR property.
 #1455380  by BR&P

Before looking at any answers, I came up with the same results as RailKevin - I THINK it's either the State Street branch or the Hojack, down by the lake, and the second one is certainly Gleason.
 #1455436  by rls62

I think the first one is the Hojack, because of the angle it crosses and the view is north. State Street runner is behind the photographer.
 #1455447  by Matt Langworthy

The upper photo is definitely the Hojack. My cousin lives across the street from the white building at right, and I have parked in that lot. I also a couple of Conrail coal trains there 25 years ago.
 #1455449  by Matt Langworthy

This is a recent photo of the Washington Ave/Hojack crossing:
Attachments:
Washington Ave.jpg
Washington Ave.jpg (264.66 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
 #1456401  by Barnard Crossing

The Gleason shot is cool. I worked there a couple of times. The old timers would tell me stories about the place as we would sit near the fence line late at night while on break, watching CSX do their thing in the yards.

I don't know when Gleason converted to natgas for their boilers. I do know they went with a high-tech, electric arc, zero-emissions foundry furnace right around the time that pic was taken. Hoppers full of quality scrap cast iron would be dropped off at their siding, stuff like old flathead engine blocks, etc. The foundry closed in '83.