Railroad Forums 

• Passing of Walter Rich

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#432314  by cjvrr

Group,

I got word this morning from a very reliable friend that Walter Rich has passed away.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Walter G. Rich

1946 - 2007

It is with great sadness that I advise you of the passing of Walter G. Rich. For the past eight months Walter has been fighting cancer and he died as a result today. He was 61 years old.

Walter was an influential and powerful spokesman for the Short Line railroad industry for over 25 years during the explosive growth of the 1980’s and 90’s. As Chairman of the American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association, Walter dealt with some of the most challenging problems of that growth at both the state and federal levels and tirelessly dedicated himself to the expansion of the small railroad network. The results of that effort are clear today in the robust and dynamic industry that is so vibrant and essential to the movement of rail freight in North America.

I sought his advice and thoughts on numerous issues and he was always available and thoughtful in providing timely and valuable insights and recommendations. I will miss him as a friend and his wise counsel concerning Short Line railroads. He will long be remembered as a leader who faced tough problems head-on and never stepped back from difficult challenges.

Richard F. Timmons, President

American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association

Chris

Mods note: Quote added by me
 #432316  by blockline4180

cjvrr wrote:Group,

I got word this morning from a very reliable friend that Walter Rich has passed away.

My condolences to his family and friends.

More info about any services will be posted when available.

Chris

Very sad to hear this... Please pray for his family during these sad times and offer my condolences as well.

#432329  by washingtonsecondary

I'd like to add my condolences as well as my families. This is a sad day for his family, my thoughts and prayers are with them.

#432331  by rcbsd45

A formal announcement from Cooperstown will be forthcoming. He passed at about 2 AM, and i beleive he was no older than 60-62... somewhere in that area.

#432334  by Otto Vondrak

Reports are indeed coming in from all over that sadly, Walter Rich has passed away. Our thoughts go out to the families.

-otto-

#432344  by RussNelson

You're not dead until you're dead and forgotten. By that measure, Walter Rich will not die for a long time.....

#432387  by Steve F45

my condolences to his family aswell.

His legacy will live on as a successfull person who took a small dying railroad and made it what it is today.

#432394  by charlie6017

I would like to add my condolences as well, my hopes that his Susie-Q will chug on for a long, long time.

#432435  by thebigham

Very sad...

#432439  by blabey

Walter G. Rich, a friend and fellow railroader for the past 40 plus years passed away this morning after fighting the devastation of pancreatic cancer for over five months. He was 61.

In 1965, while still a student at Syracuse University law School, Walter organized the Delaware-Otsego Corporation to promote a steam-powered tourist train on a 2.3 mile segment of the Ulster & Delaware (NYC) at Oneonta. Through subsequent acquisitions and leases his comppany evolved into the NYSW - a Class II regional with operations stretching from Syracuse, NY to Little Ferry, NJ. Over the years, the DO operated or controlled several other lines, including the Central New York, the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville, the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley, and the Lackawaxen and Stourbridge. Its most recent expansion came ilast year when a 20-year lease with NS was executed and Central New York took over the former EL Delaware Division between Port Jervis and Binghamton.

Walter was active in railroad industry affairs, serving for many years as Chairman of the American Short Line & Regional Railroad Assn.,(ASLRRA) a trade organization that represents the nations Class II and Class III railroads. He also served on several corporate boards and was a director of the Barriger Transportation Library in St. Louis.

Richard F. Timmons, President of the ASLRRA, called Rich "an influential and powerful spokesman for the Short Line industry during the industry's explosive growth in the 1980's and 90's.

"Walter dealth with some of the most challenging problems of that growh at both the state and federal levels and tirelessly dedicated himself to the expansion of the small railroad network," Timmons said.

Growing up on a dairy farm in Franklin (Delaware County), NY, Walter's initial experience with trains came when his dad took him to Merrickville, on the NYO&W. Watching trains pass by on these childhood visits inspired a lifelong affection for the "Old and Weary". Eventuyally this led to the acquisition of O&W business car, "Warwick". This classic brass-railed wooden car is being restored at Utica for eventual display in a museum that will be built at the Rich homestead in Franklin. The museum will also display Walter's extensive collection of railroad memorabilia.

Walter is survived by his wife, Karine, a daughter Stephanie, and a son, Derik. Calling hours will be Sunday, Aug. 12 from 2 to 5pm, and Monday, Aug. 13 from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 pm at the Deysenroth Funeral Home, 82 Chestnut Street, Cooperstown. Funderal services are scheduled for Tuesday at 1pm at Christ Church69 Fair St., Cooperstown

Rest in Peace, Walt. Some day I kinda think we'll meet again down by the station.

Gene Blabey

#432529  by uticajack

Just some further information to pass along.

Jack

Calling hours:
Sunday, August 12, 2007; 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Monday, August 13, 2007; 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm

Deysenroth Funeral Home
82 Chestnut St.
Cooperstown, NY
Phone: 607-547-8231

Funeral Services:
Tuesday, August 14 at 1:00 pm

Christ Church
69 Fair St.
Cooperstown, NY

Burial will be private.

Cards and condolence notes may be sent to
Karine, Stephanie, and Derik Rich
1 Lake Street
Cooperstown, NY 13326

#432530  by amoreho1

sad to hear

#432892  by nessman

Sad news. I think a funeral train would be a very fitting send off for Walter for a final train ride. Was always impressed with him, especially his political savvyness.