Railroad Forums 

• PAR/CSX Radio changes.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1605859  by Firetiger58

Has there been any changes to the dispatch and road channels on PAR lines and are are trains calling signals as is required on CSX lines?
 #1605862  by KB1KVD

Nothing yet. The radio system is just operating as business as usual.
 #1606852  by New Haven 1

I would guess that CSX would apply for a Transfer Of Control with the FCC. This way they would become the Licensee of Pan Am's frequencies so the current equipment could be used without the need to re-program,
 #1625222  by neman2

According to a radio conversation I heard today a bulletin order was issued last week ending the use of the so-called "MEC yard channel," (161.25 MHZ) , at least at the "San Vel facility" in Ayer. Not sure if it applies elsewhere.

Crews used this channel to lessen conflicts on 161.40, the normal yd. channel used around the rest of Ayer.

I believe the reason for this is the dispatcher doesn't have access to that channel, and there have been a lot of times the dispatcher asks a train on the main channel to "stop at San Vel and ask the crew to come up on the road channel."

Jaymac take note lest you surmise scanner malfunction.
Last edited by neman2 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1625223  by newpylong

I'm surprised they were able to use it at all considering San Vel is off Main 2.

It was always great changing from road to yard when heading down the branch. "We've been trying to get a hold of you for hours to go recrew a train!". That's exactly why we switched to the yard channel lol.
 #1625869  by neman2

According to the FCC website CSX has new "pending" licenses for 4 defect detectors in Massachusetts.

1) 110 feet W of Livingston St. crossing Tewksbury.
2) 200 feet w of Nashoba Trail at Sagamore Trail Littleton.
3) 50 feet NE of S Meadow Rd. crossing Clinton.
4) 150 feet SE of Temple St. crossing West Boylston.

The last 2 already had active licenses but they referenced the old mile posts so I guess they applied using different references
For those interested output power is 10 watts. (161.16 MHZ)
 #1625910  by neman2

Too hot to cut the lawn today so I'll finish up with the remaining CSX defect detector license submissions in NH and Maine which are all pending, not active. Again some may be already licensed but the locations are now referenced to roads rather than RR mileposts.

New Hampshire, all 161.16 MHZ.

1) Elm St., Newmarket
2) Heath St. Newton

Maine all 160.62 MHZ.

1) Bagley Mountain Rd., Lincoln
2) Military Rd. Greenbush
3) School St., Veazie
4) U.S. Route 2, Carmel
5) Hunnewell Ave., Pittsfield
6) Fairfield Rd., Oakland
 #1630155  by neman2

The Littleton HB/HC detector at new mile post 126 (former 311) is working as of today. Transmitting on 161.16.

And just 15 minutes ago M426 got a hit on it. I'm not sure for what, I wasn't listening closely.