Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am's last day

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1614829  by ST377

The Nashua local job is up for bid as L066 and L067 - the new CSX symbols. On duty 0700 and 1900 (I think the current jobs are on at 0900 and 2100 but that could be off slightly).
 #1614834  by jamoldover

CPF66 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:50 pm I still don't understand why CSX split District 1 at Royal Jct, just seems like a extra step for trains heading on the back road to get another track warrant.
Probably because of the PTC requirements for passenger service. This way they don't need to have PTC installed on the Waterville Sub, which simplifies operations (and certainly simplifies the rules and other requirements) east of Royal Jct. Anything departing from Rigby or points west will already have all of their paperwork in order.

And why would they need "another" track warrant? Changing subdivisions doesn't require new paperwork. It just requires the dispatchers to coordinate with each other (which they should already be doing).
 #1614925  by ST377

There have been manpower shortages in Billerica too over the last 5 years so D1 and D2 have been getting combined periodically as the need arises anyway, mostly for third trick.
 #1614932  by neman2

Today monitoring radio a new dispatcher was being trained by the D2 daytime dispatcher (is it proper to post his name here?) . I 've always thought he is a great example of a model dispatcher, through, concise, and patient.
 #1614973  by ST377

He's been senior man there for at least 4 years, maybe a couple more. Really nice guy and knows his stuff.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1615299  by stevefol

One possible change I have noted - the southbound LA-2 rolls through Winchester/ West Medford at significantly greater speeds than before. Usually it would roll through at 25mph max - now it is more like 50. Is this a CSX change?
 #1615303  by newpylong

CSX wouldn't have any control over speeds through there, that's MBTA owned. Regardless, 40 MPH is max authorized speed in all MBTA territory due to the PTC implementation. CSX will look to bump speeds up on their railroad at some point especially the Portland Division.
 #1615345  by BandA

Maybe PAR looked at 40MPH and said, "nah, too fast! the rest of the system is 25" and CSX looked at 40MPH and said "the timetable says 40, so lets go 40"
 #1615358  by newpylong

Same engineers still, and yes most are timid to crank it up even when MAS is 40. For that matter many don't even go 25 in 25s. Wait until CSX starts downloading the boxes if they see discrepancies between interlockings, they'll find the ball draggers. I had engineers who never went above 22 to f*ck the dog as we called it.
 #1615360  by MEC407

I've heard similar stories from a former ST conductor. He said some engineers would use every excuse in the book to go as slowly as possible and cover as little mileage as possible. Helluva way to run a railroad.
 #1615373  by newpylong

It was painful when you just wanted to get over the road and get home. But when you are only paid for time and not mileage that's going to happen. 12 hours is 12 hours whether you're sitting in a taxi, sitting in the yard or moving as far as some were concerned. If it wasn't that it was taking an hour in the yard office when I had my paperwork in 5 minutes. The stories I could tell...

I'd say I worked with a larger percentage of engineers who didn't go track speed to those that did. There were only a couple that got over the road per the book. There were conductors that were just as bad in their own ways.

I think CSX uses a hybrid system like CP (mileage plus hours), if that's the case there is hope.
 #1615527  by taracer

Yes, it used to be you would be called out for running under track speed. Now you get called out for not running T.O., which almost always runs well under track speed for the entire trip, even down hill. Even H.H. was against T.O. as it is a waste of the crew's time.

I'm sure QB 52.32 will come along and tell us how much better this way of running is.