Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by fl9m2004

That's gotta be the cleanest I've seen 208 since before it got rebuilt
Anybody seen the grey ghost 220
  by runningwithscalpels

fl9m2004 wrote:That's gotta be the cleanest I've seen 208 since before it got rebuilt
You do realize that picture was doctored as a joke and who knows how old it is? It could have been taken right after the rebuild for all you or I know -_-
  by fl9m2004

True its a really nice picture
And I laughed so hard
I wonder when the new year comes around if 225 will get rebuilt before the other 3 that are still non-rebuilt
  by amtrakhogger

DutchRailnut wrote:
fl9m2004 wrote:I wonder if Amtrak could haul an engine to Erie being how the lake shore limited has a stop there
Or is cp or csx qualified to move the engines to-from rebuilt
Wonder if 225 will get first priority or the other 3
no Amtrak can not move engine and switch a freight siding.
IIRC, Amtrak did haul MN P32's on trains 19-20 for GE warranty work in New Orleans.
  by R36 Combine Coach

And also note the NJT Arrow Is were towed on the tail of the 49 to Beech Grove (via CHI) en route to Caltrans.
  by DutchRailnut

going from railroad shop to railroad shop at end locations is a lot different than going into a freight customer (GE) that is serviced by contract by one freight carrier.
the NJT cars were sold to Amtrak for California conversion, so Amtrak moved its own cars.
  by djmarco121

fl9m2004 wrote:True its a really nice picture
And I laughed so hard
I wonder when the new year comes around if 225 will get rebuilt before the other 3 that are still non-rebuilt
No 225 just got rebuilt over the summer so it will not be due again until 2025 -2030 or will get retired i think 231 will most likely be next because it is showing the most rust
  by Tadman

DutchRailnut wrote:going from railroad shop to railroad shop at end locations is a lot different than going into a freight customer (GE) that is serviced by contract by one freight carrier.
the NJT cars were sold to Amtrak for California conversion, so Amtrak moved its own cars.
Bingo. It's a big assumption that Amtrak wants to handle someone else's locomotives from two endpoints they don't usually stop at, that being GE-Erie and Harmon shops. I'm not 100% sure that Amtrak passes the GE plant in Erie, it could be well off the main or on another main. I think Mr. Deasy once told us Amtrak has a policy against add/drop of PV's at stations without car knockers and/or a switch crew, and it's a safe bet that the Erie train station fits that exception.
  by fl9m2004

I wonder if 225 didn't get damaged that much and harmon could get it back on the road soon
  by Backshophoss

Nothing can be repaired untill NTSB and the MNR Legal Dept releases 225 ,it's now an "exhibit" as are the cars
untill all legal challanges are done. :(
  by fl9m2004

Any news on 225 with its train
  by runningwithscalpels

When does the government move quickly with anything? Stop.
  by djmarco121

Does anybody know if 222 or 223 is back from rebuild? Thanks in advance
  by FL9AC

223 has been back a few weeks and has been in service for quite some time as well. 222 still out.
  by DutchRailnut

fl9m2004 wrote:Any news on 225 with its train
how many times do we have to explain that the equipment involved in wreck will sit in storage till last lawsuit or settlement is completely over.
It could be 12 years before those cars and engine can be touched for scrapping or rebuild.