Railroad Forums 

• P2K LIRR GP38-2

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1333565  by ApproachMedium

Broke axle gears wont hum,, it will run and move and sound like it has flat spots. makes a thump thump thump sound. If its just humming chances are something else inside isnt right.
 #1333591  by Backshophoss

Depending on how bad the axle gear split/cracked,the model will barely,or not move at all.
That gear will not mesh with the rest of the drive gears.
 #1345449  by Lupo10

Bob LI, not sure you received an answer or figured this out (its been awhile since your post) but I had the same issue with mine when adding a decoder a couple of months back and found I removed 2 screws that should not have been removed. They caused the weight to get stuck. These screws are closest to each pilot. The screws you need to remove are under the trucks. Once I put the screws at the ends back in and removed only the screws under the trucks, voila. Success.
 #1345567  by BobLI

Lupo,

I was able to open up the underframe and when I was putting it back together I wound up with an extra screw!!! All the screws were in the proper holes so it looks like there was an extra screw that was in the mechanism. No more noise!