Railroad Forums 

• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#865093  by daylight4449

Dick H wrote:The 1855 belows to the Seaview Railroad at Davisville.
They are a major customer of the P&W. The locomotive
was probably at the P&W shop for some sort of repairs.
Here's a photo at Davisville:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20071 ... 5&BOOL=ALL
don't think it was there for repairs. it was being used by P&W crews, not at the shop.
 #865183  by daylight4449

Reader#108 wrote:It was doing alot of work...I saw it switch at least 2-3 strings with the 2215, which I think is a U-Boat...B23?
looked more like one of the standard cab dash 8s, radiator was way more angular, not rounded like on a u-boat
 #865193  by emdpower75

PW 2215 is classified as a B23-S7R with the "S" signifying "Super 7" status. 2215 was rebuilt/upgraded from WP U23B 2263. Super 7 status at the time was meant to improve performance and increase reliability from older U-boat locomotives. There were also six axle versions of the Super 7 produced. Another railroad currently utilizing a few four axle Super 7 locomotives is G&W's Ohio Central System.
 #865209  by daylight4449

emdpower75 wrote:PW 2215 is classified as a B23-S7R with the "S" signifying "Super 7" status. 2215 was rebuilt/upgraded from WP U23B 2263. Super 7 status at the time was meant to improve performance and increase reliability from older U-boat locomotives. There were also six axle versions of the Super 7 produced. Another railroad currently utilizing a few four axle Super 7 locomotives is G&W's Ohio Central System.
i'm firmiliar with the super 7s, they look exactally like dash 8s, at least tom me anyway
 #865217  by Billthee

The 1855 has been out for repairs for quite some time. Seaview had borrowed PW's gp40s before they were sold due to the gp10 being gone. From another list, PW has been using it to work out bugs and make sure everything is all set before sending it back to the Seaview.
 #866030  by B&M 1227

The SVTX GP10 had a major problem with the reverser, not to mention it needed new wheelsets, thus they sent it to P&W for repair work. On Fingerlakes Railway, 1855, then 1801, had problems operating in tandem with the other units so P&W may be attempting to debunk these problems by pairing it with 2215. To my knowledge SVTX has never operated their own locomotives in tandem. When the PW 3001 came to the property it was for a short time MUed to SVTX 5, however I don't believe 1855 has ever operated in a consist with 5.
 #867993  by DutchRailnut

daylight4449 wrote:anything new? based on reports, one of them could be in the process of being painted in P&W colors

these pictures says no to that rumor
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20101 ... 920138.jpg

and
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ge=10&key=
 #868345  by Dick H

I have not seen anything that they have been equipped to run
on the Northeast Corridor. They might be able to run there
as "trail only".
 #868401  by daylight4449

Dick H wrote:I have not seen anything that they have been equipped to run
as "trail only".
well, some of the other dash 8s and super 7s can run on the NEC...
 #868424  by TrainManTy

daylight4449 wrote:
Dick H wrote:I have not seen anything that they have been equipped to run
as "trail only".
well, some of the other dash 8s and super 7s can run on the NEC...
...because they have cab signals installed. These new units don't, as far as we know. The type of locomotive makes no difference - you could install cab signals in an EMD FT unit and run it on the NEC. No cab signals, no leading on the NEC.