Railroad Forums 

• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1128972  by Matt Langworthy

I have been informed by local residents that the Lehigh Railway local gets to Sayre early in the morning. I have been trying to chase that train for nearly 3 years now, without success.
 #1129609  by thannon

oibu wrote:Could anyone give a current "what/when/how" summary of Lehigh Ry's ops? Thanks
Still a morning-to-mid morning run, seems like everyday - maybe not on Saturdays. Typical power thru Athens is GP and SD. Loads vary in length, still mostly sand in covered hoppers. If NS didn't work the local in time the crew will run light back to Towanda.

Today they were up and back heading by Athens around noon.

Tom H.
 #1148609  by Matt Langworthy

Would the presence of NS hopper train 525 in Sayre delay interchange with the Lehigh Railway? The current yard in Sayre seems kinda small IMO, so I'm wondering if there was room for H10 or H12 to be squeezed in with the cars from H13 and 525.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1148700  by Matt Langworthy

It's sad to think about night trains being rare in the Sayre/Waverly area now. I can remember when they were a normal occurrence on LV, EL and even early CR back in the '70s while visiting my grandmother in Waverly.
 #1148755  by scottychaos

Matt Langworthy wrote:Would the presence of NS hopper train 525 in Sayre delay interchange with the Lehigh Railway? The current yard in Sayre seems kinda small IMO, so I'm wondering if there was room for H10 or H12 to be squeezed in with the cars from H13 and 525.
Matt,
I dont think any NS train would delay the interchange with LRWY..
The Sayre yard is still quite large, and long..
NS tends to keep all its "personal trains" (that dont have anything to do with LRWY, such as Ithaca trains) North of the Sayre station..
the long stretch between the Sayre passenger station, north to the freight station, and north up toward Waverly..

While the smaller yard south of the passenger station is the primary area for interchange with LRWY..
I dont see any conflict..I think the yard as a whole is still plenty large enough to handle anything..
I dont think that would explain the night train on LRWY..

Scot
 #1149022  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks for the information, Scot. I guess my guess wasn't a good one after all. Perhaps LHRY ran late because H10 arrived in the evening?