Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

I don't know if anybody has picked up a copy of the Morning Sun book covering all three Insull lines, but it's worth the money - nice to see some coverage of the other lines, as well as some great CSS shots I'd never seen before, including a pic of the orange cars loading passengers at Kensington's lower level station circa 1950's. It had to do with a derailment around Hammond, and passengers were bussed from EC to Kensington and loaded back on MU's at the lower level, then brought into Chicago by train. There's also a really neato-looking CSS stakebed company truck at the station - bright orange with CSS logo about 2' long painted on the doors.

by PRRGuy

I also have that book, you're right. It's very interesting, with some great photos.

by railohio

I have that, too. Nice reference for Chicago transit fans. Any word on when the second "South Shore in Color" volume will be out?

~BS