Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by TheGortex

I haven't been on the South Shore or Metra Electric lines in quite some time. Are there any Metra Electric cars still in the Illinois Central electric scheme? The ones that still have the orange and brown, but say "Metra"?

by doepack

As of last month, some of the remaining orange and black cars could still be seen at the Kensington shop facilities (KYD), but AFAIK, none are active anymore, and those at Kensington were out of service and awaiting disposition...

by Tadman

Also, it takes a trained observer to notice this, but the Metra orange/black is different from IC orange/brown. The best way to spot IC paintjobs - all gone now - is the way the "A" end stripe job is squared-off, and the Metra paint job has a "step" in the strips, matching the step in the carbody for the pantograph mounting.

IC Paintjob: http://www.davesrailpix.com/ic/htm/ic053.htm
METX Paint: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=64312

Note the photographer incorrectly identifies the Metra paint as IC - when lettered for IC, and RTA, the coaches had the squared off end. Only under Metra lettering was the step present.

by TheGortex

Dammit. It seems now that everything I used to watch is gone, and I never noticed it go away.

by PRRGuy

If you head down to Randolph st sometime, go over to the South Shore platforms. On Track 14 (the non platform track) there are 8 retired ME cars, 6 of which are in the Orange and Brown with Metra markings painted out. Also, I believe the pans were removed from the cars.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

I LQQKED at the EOL in UP last night and all new equipment is tied up there. No Orange cars !!!

by Tadman

You're not going to find orange-painted highliners anywhere but the far east track in the South Shore concourse of Randolph Street, unless the string of cars in question is brought back to KYD.

by PRRGuy

As of yesterday, when I left on train 11..or 9-11 on Metra, those cars were still on Track 14.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Tadman wrote:You're not going to find orange-painted highliners anywhere but the far east track in the South Shore concourse of Randolph Street, unless the string of cars in question is brought back to KYD.
From the info in the thread I assumed that I would see nothing. :wink:

by PRRGuy

You know, I've been wondering about this. Has any museum (IRM) thought about saving any of these cars? I know they wouldn't be able to operate them without the 1500 volts but then again they have the Little Joe...

by byte

They'll probably end up with a set when the whole series is retired, so they'll be a pair that was rehabbed and in the new paint. Those seem to be in the best shape, so even though it's not a historical representation going as far back as we'd all like, at least they'll get a car that's not all rusty.

by Tadman

Somehow (ask Mike) IRM runs the old IC MU's occasionally. Don't know if that trick works on the 1500's as well. I've always thought a 1500vDC museum at the old pullman plant, operating over the Metra Electric Blue Island branch on weekends when no traffic is present, would be great - they could run the Joes and MU's from IC and CSS. Further, since it's closer to town, more tourists could visit. It'd be a great annex for IRM.

by PRRGuy

I keep asking Mike when He's gonna bring the 800 back here..along with car #40..

I remember Mike saying something about a compressor running at half speed? However, that was the CSS cars he was talking about, I've never heard of the IC cars running.

by byte

I think the guy who was behind the IC cars and keeping them up passed away within the past year or so. They had run occasionally, however I as far as I know IRM currently has a total restriction on pantograph-equipped rolling stock until the overhead is made more compatible. But although they probably won't be running for a while, at least they're stored indoors.

Oh, and somehow I ended up with a manual for those cars. Someday I'll convert it to .pdf format and post it online.

by PRRGuy

A manual for the Old IC cars?