Railroad Forums 

• Ontario Midland Railroad (OMID) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1165207  by scottychaos

BR&P wrote: Unconfirmed rumor says the historical group who is in charge of that is going to put the number of a real actual LV caboose on that, rather than giving it a fictitious number. Oh well.....
Oh man..I really hope they don't do that!
and there is no need to give it a fictitious number either..
how about just giving it its *real* Conrail number!
that would make perfect sense..

Scot
 #1165261  by lvrr325

BR&P wrote:That has no connection whatever to Ontario Midland RR, but an interesting photo anyway. A hint of what an LV bay window caboose might have looked like.

Unconfirmed rumor says the historical group who is in charge of that is going to put the number of a real actual LV caboose on that, rather than giving it a fictitious number. Oh well.....
I was so tired last night I read "Ontario Midland" as "Ontario Central" ... ahh well. I didn't think it was worth making a new post for.
 #1166155  by nessman

Driving down 104 from Rochester to Oswego today... coming through Williamson caught OMID 36 working KM Davies before heading back to Sodus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73RJRdqINYY

Tried posting pictures, but, ah screw it... fix this damn thing people... too many rules here. Pictures are too big. Pictures are too wide. UGH!

Your images may only be up to 800 pixels wide.

Here...
https://plus.google.com/photos/10635833 ... 2503854545
 #1166279  by JoeCollege

nessman wrote:Driving down 104 from Rochester to Oswego today... coming through Williamson caught OMID 36 working KM Davies before heading back to Sodus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73RJRdqINYY

Tried posting pictures, but, ah screw it... fix this damn thing people... too many goddamn rules here. Pictures are too big. Pictures are too wide. UGH!

Here...
https://plus.google.com/photos/10635833 ... 2503854545
Thanks for the pics and the rant. Both enjoyable.
 #1166327  by charlie6017

Benjamin Maggi wrote:
nessman wrote:Tried posting pictures, but, ah screw it... fix this damn thing people... too many goddamn rules here.
Swearing about it won't help, nor is it necessary.
Sometimes the truth hurts.........

At any rate, I find it easier to link my shots to my photobucket account. I just copy/paste the image code.

Charlie
 #1166428  by O-6-O

Looking at nessmans picture I see the 36 and consist passing the stored equipment. ( no longer at Wallington I see) (vandals?). The snow plow on the siding looks much
like the one in Victor stored on that little piece of the Auburn Rd that still exists. They look "shop" built to me and could they be from some steam tenders? Sure looks like it.
 #1166435  by lvrr325

Yes, those are made out of old tenders, and I believe all from the same group. The one on the Central stayed there in part because I believe it's difficult to interchange at this point what with either friction or converted bearings.
 #1166458  by BR&P

In about 1981 RSA Leasing purchased 4 pieces of snowfighting equipment from MILW - plows 900240, 900242 and 900245, and flanger 900263. (It's been a long time - those might begin with 990... instead of 900..., I can't be sure). One plow - I believe it was the 245 - went to Ontario Eastern as did the flanger. The 2 other plows went to OMID, with plans to send one to ONCT at some point.

When ONER shut down the plow and flanger from there went to ONCT. At some point one of the plows on OMID was sold to LA&L, where it remains today. Following problems keeping an operational flanger blade on the OMID Jordan Spreader, the ONCT flanger was ordered to OMID in February - not sure what year. There followed a comedy of Conrail ineptitude, whereby the thing went to Dewitt, then to Buffalo. It was ready to leave Buffalo eastbound when it was ordered out of the train until it could be measured to see if there were any clearance issues. Finally it went to Dewitt, got lost, found and finally was delivered to OMID in April, long after the snow had departed.

An interesting and humorous sidenote was when it was lost in Dewitt. After several days of Conrail denying it was there, despite showing on the consist it was, OMID was getting frustrated. On the phone with an equally frustrated CR clerk who insisted it was NOT there, the CR guy asked "Well, what did it LOOK like?" Thinking about the vandalism it had received in Victor, OMID replied "It looks sort of like a mangy yellow bay-window caboose, with a great big F*** Y** on the side". Immediately the CR guy declared "That's on Track 27" (or whatever track number it was). :-D

So the status today is 1 plow 1 flanger on OMID, 1 plow on FGLK at Victor, 1 plow at Lakeville on LAL.
 #1169419  by BR&P

I don't know how old the photo is, nor whether the track is presently active.

That's the former Fold-Pak plant, once OMID's biggest customer. Looks like the south track has been removed except for a short segment. In the 1980's the north track was where they unloaded cars of pulpboard, the south side was for an occasional car of scrap paper outbound, plus temporary storage of inbound cars waiting to be unloaded.

An interesting note on that plant - they bought paper from perhaps 4 suppliers. Reportedly, each pulp mill would set up for a production run of a given grade or type of pulpboard, and would run for a given time - sometimes a week or more - until they had fulfilled their orders and perhaps a little extra. They would then stop, set up for a different grade, and then run THAT type for a while. Now these mills were at various locations around the south and transit times varied. The result was sometimes there would be a fairly steady arrival of cars, if one mill at a time happened to be making their grade of paper. But other times there would be 2 or 3 very slow weeks, followed by a flood of cars arriving for all the different suppliers at once. This not only lead to storage problems, but also sometimes required OMID to do a little extra switching as Fold Pak would specify given cars they wanted spotted first to meet their production needs. And from the hill in Chris's photo to the road crossing on the west, it was a stiff uphill climb. The Alco's would get quite a workout dragging 8 or 10 loads plus 4 empties up so the empties could be set to the south track, to allow the next 4 loads to be placed on the north side.
 #1174292  by lvrr325

What's become of OMID 201, 2-bay open hopper? 2006 photos show it sitting in Newark whitelined with "SCRAP" spray painted on it. Is that the same 2-bay that sat in Victor for a long time?