Railroad Forums 

• Old trackage in Queens

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #459712  by Spartan Phalanx

Today I had occasion to go to the NYPD's "new" Repair Shop 4, located on Metropolitan Ave. a block west or so of Flushing Ave. It is located in a former Ford dealership garage. It is accessed from Metropolitan Ave. by driving down an alley of sorts, with a large, old-fashioned brick factory building on the east side and chain-link fencing on the west side, enclosing a construction site. Mid-way down the alley, the factory building is split, by, what else? old trackage. If you look close, you can see rails set in the cobblestones, curving slightly into the area between the buildings. The Bushwick Branch is a short distance away, crossing Flushing Ave. I guess this spur was once accessed from the Bushwick Branch. Anybody else familiar with what I'm talking about? If so, when was this customer last served? Thanks.

#534839  by Spartan Phalanx

While driving down Grand Avenue today in the vicinity of 55 St. I noticed what appeared to be rail embedded in the road in a section where the top-most asphalt was worn away. Was this indeed old street-running trackage once used by the LIRR peeking through? Thanks.

#535229  by jtunnel

The trackage over by the NYPD garage was probably part of BOHACK, the long gone supermarket chain. We had a retired teamster in my model railroad club who worked over there who would tell us stories of trucks and trains.

Grand Avenue used to have trolleys that ran from Maspeth to Greenpoint/Williamsburg.

#535699  by Spartan Phalanx

Then trolley-track it is. Thanks. BTW, I can't believe all the sidings and spurs shown in that map of the Bushwick Branch. There must've been monster trains moving back and forth on that line in it's prime.