Railroad Forums 

• Old ROW in downtown Detroit

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#239415  by trainsinmaine

I was in the Detroit area over the weekend and saw the remains of an old double-tracked ROW in the vicinity of Jefferson Avenue and St. Aubin Street. A friend in town who showed it to me also pointed out the old depot, a large structure on Jeff. Avenue, apparently long abandoned. The roadbed heads toward the Detroit River, and looks like it's been gone for at least 15 to 20 years. My friend told me it used to be a major commuter line, but doesn't know its history. Can anyone fill me in?

#239474  by railohio

That would be the former Grand Trunk Western from Pontiac. There was a state-supported commuter operation called SEMTA that took over the former Trunk commuter runs. I believe that ended in the late 1980s. There are some great photos of it in Grand Trunk Western In Color Volume 2 by Jerry Pinkepank from Morning Sun Books.