Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by northjerseybuff

Does Metro North have any interest in putting more rail service in Orange county? possibly on the old Erie mainline through Goshen/middletown?

by Otto Vondrak

The old Erie mainline has been ripped up and sold off for over 20 years, it's not coming back, so it's a moot point. Let's keep this board out of the fantasy realm.

-otto-

by nick11a

Well, I'll take this moment in this board to maybe learn something about it.

Am I correct in saying that while the currently used routing is a longer route, it allows for higher speeds? And also, the new routing allows for trains to go accross the Moodna, which is by far one of my favorite things train wise in the tri-state area.

When they changed the routing, did some towns put up a stink?

by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:The old Erie mainline has been ripped up and sold off for over 20 years, it's not coming back, so it's a moot point. Let's keep this board out of the fantasy realm.

-otto-
Otto, I totally agree with you, there is already TOO much fantasy around
these forums. Some of it takes away the pleasure of discussing what is
presently around and what was around a few years ago.
Noel Weaver

by sullivan1985

It would make for an interesting route, and possibly make some closer stations for some of the Port Jervis line riders. But like Otto said, the line is gone and probably developed over in some parts.

That part of the Erie is dead and is never coming back.

by JoeG

The towns that had the original Erie main were happy to have it gone, since it went through the middle of town and disrupted traffic, etc.

by northjerseybuff

ok..so when was the last passenger and freight train over this route?
Was the ROW sold off? I thought I read somewhere that Metro North wanted to reactivate this..?

Also..talk about fantasies..I also read awhile back about metro north wanting to build a rail line across the tappan zee bridge!

What I would like to see..is them shut down Spring Valley..and use the piermont branch to Suffern..they can then make suffern a major yard..i know..another fantasy..but would make sense

by Otto Vondrak

The history of the old Erie mainline ("passenger main") is an interesting one. If you'd like to discuss it, strart a new thread, by all means (over in the New York State forum, please). But let's drop the discussion of Metro-North reactivating a long-gone dirt trail (tracks were largely removed after 1984).

-otto-