Railroad Forums 

• Ohio & Mississippi RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#273287  by O&MHistorian

Hi. I am new here and would like to ask a favor. I am preparing to write a book primarily about the O&M which built the Cinti to St Louis line in 1857. It was six foot gauge and they converted it in 1871 (IN ONE DAY!!). Any information on that feet would be greatly appreciated.

The O&M became the B&O Southwest in 1893. The maximum period I will be covering will be 1857 to 1901, when B&O redid the line.

I recently stopped to visit the huge B&O Warehouse / Shipping building in Cincinnati. It is now the Longworth Office building. What a magnificent place, built to last and build to hold an enormous amount of stuff. Great that it has been preserved and is being used. Unfortunately there is just a small part of the old roundhouse still there, and it is just a shell.

Thanks,
Dale