Railroad Forums 

• Ohio & Mississippi RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#273282  by O&MHistorian

Hi, I am new here and would like to ask a favor. I am preparing to write a book about the O&M which built the original Cincinnati to St Louis line in 1857. It was originally six foot gauge and they converted to standard in 1871. The remarkable thing is that they did it in one day.

Any information on the O&M and specifically why the State of Illinois balked at approving the charter would be greatly appreciated. I know that the state leaders wanted the terminus to be at Alton instead of St Louis, but little else.

Thanks,
Dale