Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1533051  by H.F.Malone

686 has been tested, it needs a few tweaks, should be out soon. 859 will be later in the year.

28 more new C&D cars arrived on Tuesday 2/4/20, for a total of 40 new cars.
 #1535802  by CannaScrews

NAUG 686 was on revenue freight 05-Mar-2020. Will probably be the standard weekday power from this point forward, barring any little gremlins popping up at random intervals.
 #1610532  by Jeff Smith

It should be noted that the 20th Century Limited and NYC Tavern Lounge 43 are spending the holiday season on the Naugatuck on the Santa Express, the Northern Lights Limited, and other trains. There are limited tickets still available: https://rmne.org/20th-century-limited/

I have written a few articles on the Naugy: https://rmne.org/20th-century-limited/
 #1610544  by NaugyRR

That's pretty cool, I wonder how the two were shipped to Thomaston (B&A to Pan Am or Amtrak to Metro-North)?

It's tempting, but after paying for the MBRRE Essex trip and Disney coming up, my wallet's already going to be stretched pretty thin. It's still awesome the RMNE arranged to charter them, and even cooler to see them visiting rural Connecticut. I wonder if any 20th Century equipment ever had to detour/through route over the Naugy in the New Haven days?
 #1610574  by shadyjay

NaugyRR wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:29 am That's pretty cool, I wonder how the two were shipped to Thomaston (B&A to Pan Am or Amtrak to Metro-North)?
Looks like they went the former... heard they were in Albany, then next thing they were in East Deerfield yard. Then assuming they came down the Conn River via a EDPL, then a PL-# to Waterville.
 #1613604  by NaugyRR

I took a ride out to Wolcott to visit my aunt today and drove past the shop. The two N&W inspired Geeps look great, and the two NYC private cars are still on the line.

I did notice that the RMNE picked up another u-boat, P&W 2201, which was parked behind the shop. What's the scoop on this one? Spares for 2203?
Last edited by NaugyRR on Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1613615  by Jeff Smith

https://www.registercitizen.com/news/ar ... 696888.php

In other news, Torrington is getting an improved platform in "Railroad Park". Having ridden several times, I can vouch that the existing platform sorely needs replacing.
The Revitalization of Railroad Square project is now in the design phase, and construction is anticipated to start in fall 2023. In the area of Church Street, the plan is to "preserve, and enhance a compact, mixed-use urban block by creating new outdoor programming space for the YMCA at 136 Water Street, extending the Sue Grossman Greenway, creating a new trail head/parking lot, new train platform and many sidewalk and pedestrian improvements," according to Malanca.

The Naugatuck Railroad runs the Torrington Express tourist train from May to October, with hundreds of passengers weekly traveling from Thomaston. When they arrive in Torrington, a new landing area at the railroad tracks will be waiting, Malanca said. Last summer, the railroad brought groups of visitors to Torrington for the afternoon or early evening with opportunities to visit Main Street's shops and restaurants.

On Dec. 30, North by Northwest Express was presented by Movies @ the Warner and the Naugatuck Railroad. The event began with a train ride from Thomaston to downtown Torrington, with original passenger cars New York Central Hickory Creek and Tavern Lounge 43 from the famous 20th Century Limited Passenger train featured in the film. Once the train arrived in Torrington, patrons walked to Salt 2.0 on Main Street for dinner, then went to the movie at the theater next door. The train returned to Thomaston later that evening.

"The dilapidated conditions that currently meet the passengers will soon be gone and passengers will be greeted by a well lighted pedestrian promenade, new platform and a park-like setting that will be used by the YMCA to offer outdoor programing,," Malanca said. "This project creates a safe environment for kids and families to play and encourages physical activity & healthy habits that will lead to improved social emotional health and self-esteem. We’re excited this recreation area will become a hub of positive youth experiences."
 #1613616  by Jeff Smith

NaugyRR wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:34 pm I took a ride out to Wolcott to visit my aunt today and drove past the shop. The two N&W inspired Geeps look great, and the two NYC private cars are still on the line.

I did notice that the RMNE picked about another u-boat, P&W 2201, which was parked behind the shop. What's the scoop on this one? Spares for 2203?
Surprised to hear that the URHS NJ Hickory and Tavern are still there. What and when are the plans for the cars return to URHS?
 #1613620  by NaugyRR

A post in the New Jersey forum shows they begin service on the Hudson Line starting February 10th, opening up the season with Valentine's Day trains.
 #1613737  by NaugyRR

I've been doing a little digging on the RMNE's new addition. Turns out it's a b-boat and not a u-boat. 2201 is a B23-7. Here's the most recent photo I found of her...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5299244

I'm assuming since it was active less than four years ago that it shouldn't be in too bad of shape, and is probably operable (again, assuming).

Does anyone here have any more details on this unit?