Railroad Forums 

• Official Black River Railroad Historic Trust Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#783334  by wolfboy8171981

bigjim4life wrote:Any information on a possible date when the steam schedule would be uploaded? I keep checking the website daily to see if it has been uploaded - I can't wait to get out there and see her run!
Not yet.

At the end of January the BR&W, who owns #60 and for whom the restoration crew was working under, as decided to let the BRRHT oversee the final stages of the restoration and the days in which #60 will operate. Part of the deal requires a BR&W approved start up and shut down plan. This is being worked on now with the help of Gary Mathews the CMO of THS #142 so there will be uniformity over the enitre Black River Railroad System. The plan should be in place by the end of April or start of May.

There is still the final FRA boiler inspection that will need to be done. This has not been scheduled yet, as there are still a few minor parts still getting machined and put back on.

Trust me when I tell you that you will not miss anything. There will be plenty of info posted here and on the BRRHT web site in advance of any run or test run.
 #785072  by MShea

Those of you that have followed the BR&W over the years know that for several years the trend was to cut back service, then cut it back some more, then next year cut something else. I'm here to tell you that train has left the station.

I promise you all that events, trains, services, etc that cannot meet the BR&W / BRRHT's financial and operational goals will meet the axe swiftly and without remorse or nostalgia. That being said, the leadership of the BRRHT is committed to improving the trains and events we continue to operate AND continue to explore possibilities for NEW services as much as possible.

In this spirit, last year (as you most likely already know) the BRRHT experimented with a revived "Saturday Night Special" service to downtown Flemington. We learned a few things in the process, and have decided to put some more weight behind the idea this year in an attempt to establish a regular presence in the downtown area. This year's Saturday Night Special has been scheduled for every Saturday in June, July, and August, and will feature stops at both Flemington PRR (Stangl Road at Liberty Village) and Flemington CNJ (Main Street & Fulper Rd). While this service remains "family friendly", the real target is couples and small groups of adults looking for an enjoyable evening out to a restaurant that's a little bit off the beaten path (you know....something other than shmapplebees).

So far, the list of attractions for these trains includes VIP coupon books for shopping at Liberty Village (upon request), a complimentary map with walking directions to several restaurants within a 10 minute walk of the train station, a map with a walking tour of historical points of interest in downtown Flemington, and the ability to ride the train to the FRBA car shows which will take place on several of the Saturdays when this train operates. The train departs Ringoes at 5:30pm, arriving at Flemington CNJ 6:00pm, then laying over until 9:00pm departure to return to Ringoes.

So.......

We need your help!!! Tell your friends, relatives, fellow-railfans, and anybody else who will listen. Last summer, one thing that our SNS passengers repeated over and over was how surprised they were at how much there was to see and do in downtown Flemington. This is a great way for folks to get out and do/see something different that they've been missing in their own backyard. Plus, let's face it, it's just really cool to arrive at Main St Flemington by train! Tickets will be regular price ($14/A $7/C) and we'll be offering a discount to groups of 4 or more adults purchasing tickets together in advance through our website!

Of course, this will present new opportunities for evening/night photography on the BR&W....please come take advantage of them. May I suggest, come buy a ticket and enjoy the ride and dinner one Saturday, then come chase and photograph the following Saturday.

Information on this train has been posted on our website at http://brrht.org/eventSaturdayNightSpecial.html. Advance ticket sales will be available through that page soon.

PLEASE let me know if you have any comments or questions about the Special!

Thanks,
Michael Shea
Vice-President
BRRHT
 #788264  by wolfboy8171981

Just a reminder that This weekend and next the Black River Railroad Historic Trust is running our annual Easter Bunny Trains. Trains are operating Saturday March 27th, Sunday March 28th, FRIDAY April 2nd and Saturday April 3rd.

The Good Friday train will have a special guest brakeman. contact Sirsonic for details.......

For more info click here
 #788417  by PVRX1

Special Meet & Greet rate applies to all ticket purchases. Non ticketed persons may attend meet and greet for a slightly higher fee. All proceeds go to the Sirsonic Transportation Trust Fund.

Photos with special guest brakeman are available in Flemington at 1120, 1250, and 220pm.

This Sunday's engineer's feelings are hurt your not running with him. LOL
 #807670  by wolfboy8171981

R36 Combine Coach wrote:One curious question: When will open house/photo freight run? Normally during Railroad Days, but this year's schedule has yet to announce.
There is no "Railroad Days" special event this year. In its place this year is Railroads and the Military weekend.