Railroad Forums 

• ? of a first aid kit

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#254519  by Flip

I have a old New York Central System first aid steel box it has No 6406 samped in to the box. My ? is, Is that the # of the locomotive it came from and what kind of locomotive was it?

Thanks Craig

#254568  by BR&P

I can't say whether that is the locomotive number, or just a serial number for the first aid kit itself. I do know that when electric lanterns were first replacing the kerosene ones, an NYC employee had to sign a receipt, and the lantern was identified by a serial number. So there is a precedent for numbering items for inventory control.

#255191  by Noel Weaver

Seems to me that Massachusetts was the first place that required first aid
kits on engines. The kit in question probably has a number for that
particular kit. I don't think it would be practical to number something like
this for a particular engine.
Noel Weaver

#255245  by NYC-BKO

I have one too, black metal box with a number stamped on it, I will find it and see what number is on it. Mine came from the enginehouse at Clearfield, PA.
It may be they were registered to a specific location, piece of equipment, etc., or it is the part ordering number. We will see when I find mine and get the number.

#257455  by Dieter

Is there a manufacturers' name visible anywhere?

#260439  by Flip

Thanks for the info.

#260667  by Otto Vondrak

I have one of these first aid boxes. Mine is stamped NEW YORK CENTRAL LINES. I have seen later ones that are stamped NEW YORK CENTRAL SYSTEM and I have seen the same box stamped with a PC worms logo. Seems like the design endured.

-otto-