Railroad Forums 

• odd ball Locos and cars in Utica

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#54405  by SRS125

I was over in Utica last nite and stoped over across from the NYS&W Shop and see that there are a few odd ball locos and cars in the yard just wondered what they are doing with them. Things I was wondering about are:

Delaware & Hudson Jordon Snow Plow did they buy it from D&H?

3 BN Cabless B30-7's being put on the road or being partsed out?

4 or 5 Bangor & Aroostook GP38's is the Q going to use there or parts them?

and 1 Providance & Worchester locomotive are they useing the one that is there? what happened to the outher 2 that were there last summer?

1 Ex NS High Hood SD40 parts or being put back on the road?
 #54473  by railroadcarmover

Did you happen to get the number off the P&W? Would you know if it is #2209. I own this unit and it was towed up from Binghamton yard a month ago back to Utica shop for some work.
#2207, if still at the Utica Shop has / had freeze damage. I had the combos swapped out from this unit to the #2209 last August before it was towed to Binghamton.

#54521  by crij

Most likly the unit was 2214, which arrived end of last week from P&W to supply it's cab signal equipment for the next NYS&W 40xx unit that is headed to P&W.

Units 4002 and 4004 have been delivered to the P&W, but last I heard, 4002 will eventually be headed back to either NYS&W or the original leasor.

On the P&W Yahoo Forum, it was reported on Wednesday Sept 15, that BDLX 2209 (former P&W 2209) was seen in the Utica yard. So I guess it could be either unit.

Rich C.

#54524  by SRS125

I'm sorry I did not get the number on the Ex P&W Loco I wanted to get a photo of it but did not want to cross the tracks and walk around all the outher junk blocking the view. Did not want to risk runing into cops or cameras. I do have a pic of this 2 or 3 of them P&W Units taken last summer I can't recall the numbers. The pics are in British Columbia for evaluation for possable model ideas for PWRS to make.

#55256  by GVrooman

Earlier this afternoon I saw the P&W 2209 and one of the E9s being towed south through Chenango Forks. They are probably in Binghamton now. I
am curious about the final destination of the E9. I just saw two more engines being towed north. One of them looked like a Dash 8. I wish Susie would put bigger numbers on her engines. They are hard to read from a distance. :-)

#55537  by uticajack

Indeed, both of the engines being towed north were Dash 8's. I believe the road numbers were 4006 & 4008. GP18 #1800 was towing them to Utica to install cab signals, as they have been sold. They arrived in Utica this afternoon.

#55567  by GVrooman

#1800 is back in service now? That is big news and good to hear. I will have to keep an eye out for it. I stopped by the Binghamton yard today and saw the ex-P&W 2209 along with #2214. Also the E9 NYS&W 2402. Tucked away underneath the Rt. 363 bridge was a high-nose SD40 with the number 1606. It has been there for a while so it can't be the same one seen in Utica. They seem to be multiplying.

#55571  by uticajack

According to the October, 2004, Railpace Newsmagazine, NYS&W #1800 went back into service in July of this year. I can't say that this is it's first venture back into Utica, but I was at K&K Hobby this afternoon when it went past with the Dash 8's in tow (or push).