Railroad Forums 

• NYSW possibly buying Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#995335  by Gunsnclapton

I heard from a friend of a friend who works at the MA&N that NYSW has shown interest in buying the railroad. I couldn't be more thrilled because this could mean that the scenic can borrow 142 once again for free.
-Steve
 #995354  by NYSW3022

Gunsnclapton wrote:I heard from a friend of a friend who works at the MA&N that NYSW has shown interest in buying the railroad. I couldn't be more thrilled because this could mean that the scenic can borrow 142 once again for free.
-Steve
The only problem is that the NYS&W no longer owns the 142. It was swapped for the engine shed in Butler earlier this year.
 #995371  by Steve F45

EDITED: Mohawk Adirondack and Northern, didn't reallize it at first.

But anyway, if it was remotely true what would be the benefit besides gaining all the customers? Do they have a connection at there northern most terminus?
Last edited by Steve F45 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #995465  by lvrr325

IIRC, the way Walter set up the ownership on the former DL&W lines makes it extremely difficult to evict the NYS&W, and they have no plans to leave; while there also is no strategic advantage to them to expand northward either. I'm not up on if the railroad owns that line, or it's owned by the county and operated by the MA&N as so many shortlines do to beat property taxes.

I would have suspected if anything was likely it would be the MA&N to add some of the former DL&W, also, until the possibility of using the line for fracking sand and water trains came about; with that, and the application of grants to repair it, any rumor about a sale is going to be just that, a rumor.
 #997030  by O-6-O

I couldn't be more thrilled because this could mean that the scenic can borrow 142 once again for free."

Just how did you arrive at that conclusion?