Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Passenger Rolling Stock

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#923386  by uzplayer

So I noticed that a lot of passenger rolling stock was bought by the NYSW and then sold off. Some of it as I understand was used for OnTrack in Syracuse NY, while others were used for excursions.

Back when NYSW purchased all of these double decker rail cars, were there any specific plans for putting them into some sort of short or long distance passenger service other than for excursions and/or dinner trains? Also, I went on the site where this stock is being sold... A lot of of it is still left including some double decker passenger trains that still look up to par. Is this in fact the case or has the website just not been updated recently?
 #923884  by lvrr325

Double deckers were just cheap, servicable, HEP equipped cars. NYS&W never had any firm plan for any long distance service. They've been sold and in fact got scrapped.
 #923895  by dano23

The double deckers that were recently for sale were not the original ones from the 80's that were purchased from Autotrain.
 #923913  by Sid Farkus

dano23 wrote:The double deckers that were recently for sale were not the original ones from the 80's that were purchased from Autotrain.
Those were full-domes, not double-deckers.
 #923964  by DutchRailnut

For that matter none were double decker cars, the NYS&W did get gallery cars, which are not double deckers ;-)
 #924026  by Steamtown Observer

Remember that Walter Rich and Delaware Otesgo began life as a tourist train operator on a 2 mile remnant of the Ulster & Delaware in Oneonta. Through the end of his life Walter always had a soft spot for running excursions as well as inspection trips for politicians and customers. Towards the end of his life was an annual junket to Saratoga for a day at the horse race track.

The Metra gallery cars were transferred to DO/NYS&W when Metra retired them. I am not sure if they paid for them as the story went that they had residual Federal money and thus might have been free if they were used in the Ontrack "commuter" service. Some of these cars ended up going to the NYS&W T&HS. The details on this were always murky - I suspect on purpose.
 #924391  by uzplayer

So then I wonder...Especially in New Jersey, there are many towns that could benefit from Passenger Service. I know NJT has talked about bringing service back in New Jersey and down the line, NYSW was going to do regular service in New York State and tried something with OnTrack in Syracuse. Is there enough population along the route to support some sort of service between New York and New Jersey?
 #924459  by Sid Farkus

Possibly, but NIMBYs are in full force with this matter especially up in Sussex County.
 #924484  by dano23

Steamtown Observer wrote:The details on this were always murky - I suspect on purpose.
Nothing murky.
Last edited by dano23 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #924492  by dano23

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:
dano23 wrote:The double deckers that were recently for sale were not the original ones from the 80's that were purchased from Autotrain.
Those were full-domes, not double-deckers.
True, kept the terminology basic as there was the upper level in the dome and lounge area on the lower level.
 #924564  by uzplayer

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:Possibly, but NIMBYs are in full force with this matter especially up in Sussex County.
Not all of us up here hold the same opinion.
 #924663  by Steamtown Observer

dano23 wrote:
Steamtown Observer wrote:The details on this were always murky - I suspect on purpose.
Nothing murky.
Really? Go to Guidestar.org and look at their 990 Federal Tax return - quite entertaining.
 #924704  by Steamtown Observer

dano23 wrote:So its murky because you don't agree with the value?
No, line items over the last 5 or so years that don't match reality nor ignoring the concept of unrelated business income. But hey obviously the IRS doesn't care so why should I?