Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W DISPATCHERS office Pics

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#325805  by Steve F45

trainfreak wrote:
It amazes me at how clear the dispatchers come in down here in jersey.
They do have towers on Sparta Mountain and Little Ferry I beleive they are transmitters. However i could be wrong by calling them transmitters. I do know however that going from Coop to whatever tower they go over phone wires then up to the tower. When the NYSW needed a new radio system in the early 90's my father helped them install it. He even had the "tough" task of going for a cab ride and testing the radios too! If more details are wanted I could probaly ask him next time we talk.
they're called repeaters. It amazes me still though that for as far away the dispatcher is its crystal clear. Yet the PD i work for a cop can be 5 miles away and i can barely make him out.

#326615  by Phase Gap

Why was my post removed??? The person is wrong about the difference between a reapeater and a tranmitter sight?

#326745  by Steve F45

Phase Gap wrote:Why was my post removed??? The person is wrong about the difference between a reapeater and a tranmitter sight?
interesting. i had responded back to you, correcting myself. Not to familiar with radio stuff. I didn't see any harm in the 2 posts, nobody was arguing or fighting.

#327019  by Phase Gap

I guess it is going to be one of those mystery things!!!! lol by the way do you work for the a railroad 2005Vdub?

#327054  by Steve F45

Phase Gap wrote:I guess it is going to be one of those mystery things!!!! lol by the way do you work for the a railroad 2005Vdub?
nope, dispatch/911's for bergen county.

#330854  by Steve F45

i have a question, on holidays when there's no local yard work and no road trains and everything is tied down. Are the dispatchers still working?

#330885  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yes, there is always a DS on duty. Never know when an emergency might arise, a train might HAVE to run, or someone has to answer a phone.

#330981  by Phase Gap

some railraods yes and some no.......

#331614  by GOLDEN-ARM

This is the Suzy thread, and we are discussing the Suzy. Yes, there is always a DS on duty..................... :-D

#377706  by NaDspr

There is one dispatcher on duty who covers the whole NYS&W -- Northern & Southern Divisions as well as the "current" Central New York RR from Binghamton to Port Jervis.

When the NYS&W controlled the TP&W, another dispatcher worked to control that line from Cooperstown. Now it's just back to one dispatcher per shift.

At one time, the NYS&W dispatcher also dispatched the LASB (Lackawaxen & Stourbridge RR) in PA, the FJ&G (Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville), CACV (Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley), CNYK (Central New York - Richfield Jct to Richfield Springs), SIRY (Staten Island Rwy) and the RVRR (Rahway Valley RR). There were all part of the Delaware Otsego operations.

Tom Ross (who is pictured in Ken Karlewicz's book with some of the other dispatchers at the time - including me) is the most senior dispatcher at the NYS&W. He came to the NYS&W in 1982 off the D&H where he was a tower operator.

#444276  by NaDspr

2005Vdub wrote:I always here a dispatcher ross, he's in that book too. It amazes me at how clear the dispatchers come in down here in jersey.
Dispatcher Ross has been with the NYS&W since they started operating the Northern Division in April 1982. Tom came off the D&H and was a tower operator at FA Tower in Oneonta. I worked with him from 1985-1992 and he was senior to me then. I'd still be #2 on their roster. He's quite a character.