Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Abandonments

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#294930  by uticajack

Just received an E-mail (and legal copy) stating that the NYS&W has filed a petition of abandonment for the lines stated below:

Chenango Forks, NY to Sangerfield, NY
MP 202.62 to MP263.50 (60.88 miles - Utica Branch)

Fay Street Branch NY
MP 284.80 to MP 285.22 (.42 miles - Utica Branch)

Pompton Branch NJ
MP 22.10 to MP28.30

Passiac Branch NJ
MP 17.30 to MP 18.30

Lodi Branch NJ
MP 14.50 to MP 15.80

Jack

#294943  by amoreho1

why would they abandon the lodi branch since they just made a bunch of improvements on it

#295311  by blockline4180

From my sources at NYSW and from several employees, they didn't formally file an application with the STB yet. Infact those are CANDIDATE lines that will most likely see abandonment over the next 3 years as their aren't many shippers left.
And yes, I don't understand why the Lodi Branch is on there after they just spend money on building a new shops building and just upgraded the tracks near Route 21.

#295323  by washingtonsecondary

The pompton industrial is a little suprising. How many shippers are left on the line?

#295375  by Steve F45

blockline4180 wrote:From my sources at NYSW and from several employees, they didn't formally file an application with the STB yet. Infact those are CANDIDATE lines that will most likely see abandonment over the next 3 years as their aren't many shippers left.
And yes, I don't understand why the Lodi Branch is on there after they just spend money on building a new shops building and just upgraded the tracks near Route 21.
New shops building? When you say rt 21, do you mean 17?

#295562  by David Hutchinson

I think Morrison Pipe is/was the only active on the Pompton at the end of the branch. They used to receive carloads of pipe but now receive trailers that have had their imported pipe devanned off inbound sea containers. Have not seen a car there in months.

#295625  by uticajack

I was away all weekend, however this is the scoop on what I received.

My original source got the information from the Utica Observer Dispatch, our local newspaper. Why WR would abandon the Lodi branch or in fact the Utica branch below Sangerfield is quite puzzling. The track below Sangerfield into Sherburne is in top notch condition. I was in Sherburne Saturday and there are 4 boxcars from the Beaver River & Lowville RR, along with a covered hopper at Sherburne Pet Foods sitting there.

#295698  by GOLDEN-ARM

I don't have a Suzy TT handy, but I would imagine the abandonment was for the very western portion, still there, under the pavement, and unused. Taxes are still being paid, even if it,s not in service. Abandonment allows the railroad to remove trackage from the books, and from the tax registers, as well.Past Rt. 17, and the old run-around, down a half mile or so, the railroad used to cross another hiway, and continued for a short didstance. Is this the portion in question? There was a mound of dirt, and a fence preventing us from "adventuring" any further down the line, with our loco, although that piece was still very much intact. Wonder if that's the part in question.......

#295755  by Sir Ray

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I don't have a Suzy TT handy, but I would imagine the abandonment was for the very western portion, still there, under the pavement, and unused. Taxes are still being paid, even if it,s not in service. Abandonment allows the railroad to remove trackage from the books, and from the tax registers, as well.Past Rt. 17, and the old run-around, down a half mile or so, the railroad used to cross another hiway, and continued for a short didstance. Is this the portion in question? There was a mound of dirt, and a fence preventing us from "adventuring" any further down the line, with our loco, although that piece was still very much intact. Wonder if that's the part in question.......
Do you mean the section of the branch which once ran south of Garabaldi, crossed Rte 46, and then continued SW to roughly the area of the muncipal complex?
That might make sense, although it would be hard to believe that the NYSW had not abandoned it before (I believe parts of the ROW are now built over). Right now, tracks stop about 100ft North of Garabaldi, and I think there's a parking lot between End of Track and the road...

#295769  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah, those are the parts. It would seem strange, to work on the line, to abandon it. Kinda like the FJG, or the RVRR, or the SIRY............. :P

#295897  by Steve F45

Sir Ray wrote:
GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I don't have a Suzy TT handy, but I would imagine the abandonment was for the very western portion, still there, under the pavement, and unused. Taxes are still being paid, even if it,s not in service. Abandonment allows the railroad to remove trackage from the books, and from the tax registers, as well.Past Rt. 17, and the old run-around, down a half mile or so, the railroad used to cross another hiway, and continued for a short didstance. Is this the portion in question? There was a mound of dirt, and a fence preventing us from "adventuring" any further down the line, with our loco, although that piece was still very much intact. Wonder if that's the part in question.......
Do you mean the section of the branch which once ran south of Garabaldi, crossed Rte 46, and then continued SW to roughly the area of the muncipal complex?
That might make sense, although it would be hard to believe that the NYSW had not abandoned it before (I believe parts of the ROW are now built over). Right now, tracks stop about 100ft North of Garabaldi, and I think there's a parking lot between End of Track and the road...
That would be strange if those parts of the track have not been formaly abandoned. You can't even tell there was a ROW nowadays from the municple complex northwards. If you look at a arial map you can tell a lil bit. But the last section from garibaldi to 46 was ripped up when they did the sewer/run-off upgrades.

#296107  by GOLDEN-ARM

This is the "Q" we're talking about here, and we all know, stranger things have happened............ :P

#296116  by RichM

The pre-abandonment announcement was in Monday's Bergen Record, last page of the classifieds under Public Notice. Among other items, it identifies various points, and it calls out the entire Lodi Branch, from Hackensack to Garibaldi Avenue.

As for the construction, as I said earlier, I believe the work was done as the cost of refurbishment after the storm drainage system was upgraded.

Now, let the politics begin!

#296178  by blockline4180

David Hutchinson wrote:I think Morrison Pipe is/was the only active on the Pompton at the end of the branch. They used to receive carloads of pipe but now receive trailers that have had their imported pipe devanned off inbound sea containers. Have not seen a car there in months.
Well, you also have Burr Plastics down in that area. They are still a regular customer as far as I know. I'm sure they aren't too happy with this pre-abandonment announcement!
Like Rich said, I bet its all politics!

SMP

#296180  by blockline4180

uticajack wrote:I was away all weekend, however this is the scoop on what I received.

My original source got the information from the Utica Observer Dispatch, our local newspaper. Why WR would abandon the Lodi branch or in fact the Utica branch below Sangerfield is quite puzzling. The track below Sangerfield into Sherburne is in top notch condition. I was in Sherburne Saturday and there are 4 boxcars from the Beaver River & Lowville RR, along with a covered hopper at Sherburne Pet Foods sitting there.

Not only that, but aren't there still 2 or 3 customers still getting rail service in the Sherburne area???