Railroad Forums 

• NYC J3a Questions

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#494288  by oldoutboardjim

I have a US Hobbies, NYC J3a 4-6-4. It was painted by a previous owner, and numbered #5480. I am about to get it stripped and repainted, but before I do, I want to assure that the engine I have matches a prototype correctly, including the engine number. So here’s what I have:
- Elesco Feedwater Heater
- “Mohawk-style” front end
- BOXPOK drivers
- 2nd (small) smokestack for booster
- PT-4 Centipede Tender
If I understand correctly, this model should represent a de-streamlined J3a in the later years of steam. So here are my questions:
1) Is this model correct for #5480?
2) If it isn’t correct for #5480, what engine number is it correct for?
3) Where can I look (preferably online) to see a photo of #5480 – or any other engine number that matches (or is close to) my engine?
4) If it isn’t correct for any J3a, what modifications will I need to make?
Thank you in advance.
 #494368  by H.F.Malone

Everything sounds right for the de-streamlined J3a, but the number sounds wrong-- NYC streamlined J3s were 5445-5454. According to Staufer and May's "Thoroughbreds", all the J3a locos had the PT tenders after WW2; only four locos had the "Selkirk" ("Mohawk"-style) front end-- 5447, 5450, 5451, 5453. Hope this helps.

#494371  by scottychaos

Looks like the previous owner of your model saw this webpage:

http://www.railarchive.net/nyccollection/nyc_5480.htm

and gave the model that "fantasy" number..
and maybe even tried to model the fantasy engine.

There was never a real J3a 5480.
the J3a class was Nos. 5405-5454

here are lots o' pics:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-steam.html

Scot
 #494666  by oldoutboardjim

H.F.Malone wrote:...only four locos had the "Selkirk" ("Mohawk"-style) front end-- 5447, 5450, 5451, 5453. Hope this helps.
Every photo I've found so far (of the 4 Hudsons with Selkirk front-ends) show engines with the Worthington FWH and Scullin disk drivers. I cannot find any with the Selkirk front-end and Boxpok drivers.
I could convert the FWH, but the drivers are another matter. If I can't make this engine "right" for a "Selkirk front-end" Hudson, I may convert the smokebox front to the "standard" J3a design.