• NYC 3001 Restoration?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Alek9997

Does anyone know the current status on the restoration of NYC 4-8-2 Mohawk #3001 to operational condition?

Last I heard anything was over a year ago, and that it was going to go to the Milwaukee Road 261 shop for the restoration, and that the shop was already making parts for it.

Any new information regarding this project is appreciated!

Thanks

Alek S
  by Otto Vondrak

Alek9997 wrote:Does anyone know the current status on the restoration of NYC 4-8-2 Mohawk #3001 to operational condition?

Last I heard anything was over a year ago, and that it was going to go to the Milwaukee Road 261 shop for the restoration, and that the shop was already making parts for it.

Thanks

Alek S
Hey Alek, I'm not sure where you're getting your information from? Post some sources? When you did a search for NYC 3001 restoration, what did you find?

-otto-
  by dj_paige

When I was in Elkhart last summer, I asked about restoring 3001 to operational status, and I got the impression that they would like to do so, but they didn't have the money.
  by lvrr325

Heard a story NS looked at using it for their new steam program, but couldn't come to a deal on it.
  by Alek9997

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Alek9997 wrote:Does anyone know the current status on the restoration of NYC 4-8-2 Mohawk #3001 to operational condition?

Thanks

Alek S
Hey Alek, I'm not sure where you're getting your information from? Post some sources? When you did a search for NYC 3001 restoration, what did you find?

-otto-

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-plan-coul ... 6702.story

Not a very comprehensive or recent article but it's something!

Alek S