Railroad Forums 

• NYA unit trash train to Oak Point, 11/1

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1100854  by DogBert

I joked about this in that other thread, but it really just happened

NY&A just crossed Hell Gate going north, with 2 GP38s bracketing an MP15, hauling roughly 40 green trash containers.

I saw this with my own two eyes. I thought it was Amtrak sending through a test train so I didn't have my camera in my hands.

I'm assuming they will collect any empties available to feed the bushwich trash machine, which is probably devoid of cars now and desperate for empties to load.
 #1101067  by DogBert

It's not that they really have a choice. DSNY's been collecting trash all week, and I'm sure WM is running out of space for it. If you saw what I saw in south queens you'd know trash collection is going to be 4 times the usual volume soon.

Harlem river is probably out of empties too, and the trash doesn't stop coming.

NYA came back around 11pm with a scant 4 or 5 empties.

I'm not sure how long the hudson line will be out, but csx might have to reroute via new haven or something. I believe they evac'ed oak point, thus there was no power there to make the run to the island.
 #1101110  by KEN PATRICK

i'm thinking the 40 containers were on 10- 89' flats. the rail haul from varick is about 2000 tpd -25 cars 100 containers to virginia. the empties can't get back until the selkirk to oak point move is open. there is a unit train from harlem river yard to virginia so, when the 60 cars get back, oak point will divide. the affected transfer stations can hold several days of msw. with rain, msw weight per yard jumps from 450# to 700# so the rallcars will all be running above 286. might be a power shortage at oak point . ken patrick
 #1101249  by DogBert

nowhere to burn it.

hudson line was closed until today - i heard something about bad weather... (sarcasm)

More seriously, the boat that was on the tracks was named after some nazi war ship. I'm not sure what it's owner was thinking with that one... MN should keep it and sell it. Possession is 9/10ths of ownership no? :)
 #1101588  by DogBert

Nope, not one that I know of.

CSX came inbound with 50-60 empty trash cars today, plus another 50-60 general merch. Biggest inbound I've seen in years - probably ever. NYA's gunna have some work to do monday, or maybe they'll run some sunday extras to catch up.
 #1101754  by DogBert

KEN PATRICK wrote:i'm thinking the 40 containers were on 10- 89' flats. the rail haul from varick is about 2000 tpd -25 cars 100 containers to virginia. the empties can't get back until the selkirk to oak point move is open. there is a unit train from harlem river yard to virginia so, when the 60 cars get back, oak point will divide. the affected transfer stations can hold several days of msw. with rain, msw weight per yard jumps from 450# to 700# so the rallcars will all be running above 286. might be a power shortage at oak point . ken patrick
It was actually 40 flats - 4 containers per flat. 160 containers total. Not sure what tpd is, but I usually see 8-15 flats per outbound train, 5-6 days a week. it's rare that they skip a day.