Railroad Forums 

• NYA any good to work for?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #481900  by notonedime

I'm interviewing with NYA shortly. I was wondering if they were a good railroad freight operation to work for. I'm hearing the dual conductor/engineer title is an awesome opportunity to get into the industry. NYA states AFTER passing the 18 months worth of required testing/training, the income is substantial usually in excess of $80k for the new guys and in excess of $100k for those with seniority. I'm certain you work your as- off for the money, but can anyone provide some useful insight on the operation itself, what its like to work there, and verify whether or not the income expectation is realistic or if its just advertised bs many employers like to front?

#482082  by Scrap em Again

80k is fairly easy to achieve, 100k requires some 7 day work weeks. I dont want to imply any good or negative ideas to a applicant, but one thing I will tell ya...... are you ready for a nightime career?

#482527  by notonedime

If things in my life were different, I would say absolutely not. But because I'm bored with myself and in search of new challenges, I'm going to go out on a limb and say thats exactly what I want.

I find when things are kosher, and in order, and right, and as expected, they're just too dull to harness my attention. I want to work in a changing, entertaining, and challenging environment, maybe one thats even chaotic and insane. So if thats your definition of nightmarish career, then sign my as- up!

#482955  by mutz155

HERE IS THE CHOICE: CASH AND NO CHALLENGE OR NO CASH AND DIGGING OUT FROZEN SWITCHES. CHECK THE 1ST OF EACH MONTH AND YOU DECIDE (LIRR/PATH) OR A MEAGER LIVING.

#483779  by notonedime

I didn't really comprehend what it is you're trying to say. Cash and no challenge? That doesn't seem to make much sense.

#483821  by mutz155

WHAT DIDNT YOU COM-PRE-HEND? WAS IT THE MONEY (DOLLAR-PESO-LIRA-SHEKKLE-POUND) OR THE FROZEN SWITCH PART (FUSEE-ICE PIK-OVERALLS-LONG JOHNS-PAY THE BILLS)? WHEN YOU SORT THAT OUT LET ME KNOW BECAUSE I AND A BUNCH OTHERS ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER. PS- I LEFT OUT THE GLOVES PART. BUON NATALE.

#484015  by SOO4601

I don't believe that's what we aren't understanding, but what you are actually trying to say.

#484147  by jayrmli

I'll try to translate it as best I can. I worked with the Mutz in the past so I may be a little more "hip with the lingo."

NYAR - Hard work for less pay
LIRR/PATH/MNRR/ETC. - Less work for more pay

BTW, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Mutz!

Jay

#484148  by KFC Jones

MUTZ I haven't heard your dulcet tones on channel 5 lately. Where are you?

To the original poster:

Dude, NYA is a fantastic place to learn about RRing. If you take things seriously and listen up to what's being taught, within a few years you will be a better RRer than 90% of the LIRRs roster. The advantage of working freight over passenger is that you apply the stuff learned in books every day, be it operating rules, making up trains, troubleshooting mechanical problems, or what have you. Any short line RR can do that for you, but what makes NYA better is the environment... LIRRs rules are so varied and -uh- unique (ok, screwy) that your brain is constantly engaged. Also, its one thing to swich out some plastic hoppers on 10 MPH track in Podunk, quite another to do it with MUs whizzing by at 80 MPH and juicy 3rd rail every place you want to step!

As far as the pay, I assume they told you the hourly rate? Just do the math to figure that out. The numbers you quoted above sound a little rosy to me, off the top of my head, but not too much. Figure I make close to (under) 30 bucks an hour at NJT, and I'm up to the mid 80s for this year so far- if NYA pays a lower rate, you know how the difference will be made up... by overtime!

I worked at NYA, Conrail Shared Assholes, a private industrial switching operation, NYA again, and NJT. I had the best time and learned the most at NYA. Now that I'm an old slow wheezy wuss, I don't regret going to higher pay and "nicer" working conditions... but I'm grateful for the time(s) I spent at NYA.

Good luck and be safe!

#484175  by mutz155

WELL IT IS ABOUT TIME! THE VOICES OF REASON! TRANSLATORS (HABLAMOS COMMON SENSE)! BRAVISIMO! KFC (REMEMBER THOSE FROSTY DAYS ON THE WHACKER!) GOT TO LOVE RAMUNDO AND HIS MERRY BAND OF SWITCH CLEANERS! THE VOICE OF THE EAST END AND TAMER OF THE CAR-MAN! WHERE IS STIVE WHEN YOU NEED TO COMPLETE THE HAT TRICK? I KNOW YOU LOVE IT JAY AND GOD BLESS YOUR GROUNDING (NOT ON THE 3RD RAIL PLEASE!) THESE WHIPPER SNAPPER FREIGHT COME LATELIES - WELL I DONT UNDERSTAND. PLEASE TRUST THEM TO TAKE YOU INTO MANUAL BLOCK (OOPS WRONG ENGINE NUMBERS!) LOVE THESE !!!!! SIGNS! AH BY THE WAY, I DO MAKE OVER 30 AN HOUR (SORRY KFC I AM DEEMED MORE IMPORTANT - BOY THAT SCARES ME - ONLY IF THEY KNEW!) EXTRY LIST MOSTLY IN THE MORNINGS ON THE WELL YOU KNOW. NO D'S PERMISSION EAST BLAH BLAH BLAH! CIAO..//<<>>??::;;{{[["""''''

#484219  by notonedime

Thanks for the information to all of those who have replied, especially KFC Jones. I am interested in learning the industry and job properly if NYA chooses to hire me after my interview. As far as the pay, it's not my biggest concern, but when I'm told something these days, I have to be cautious as to how much I believe. I did the math, and with 20 hours overtime a week at full rate after training, it does average around 90k gross per year. However, then theres taxation and retirement, union dues, etc. so I'm sure even at that level take home is around $60-$70k, and the calculated salary here depends on 20 hours overtime a week. So, we'll see what happens.

But thanks to everyone who has responed to this post and as far as mutz, I don't know you, but I feel confident in saying you have some serious issues to address.

** I should add that the training rate is around $16 an hour and that my calculation is based off $22. I'm just not sure if $22/hour is a ceiling rate you can achieve in the years coming, or if thats the rate you receive if you successfully pass all phases of training. The information I received just says, "working up to $22/hour."

#484245  by mutz155

I HAVE BILLS NOT ISSUES. AND I WILL STILL MAKE MORE THAN YOU. PS...KC AND JAY ARE MORE DELICATE THAN I BUT THEY SAY THE SAME THING. OVER.

#484247  by notonedime

Well I would hope so.. considering I have no railroading experience at all.. now as for your bills, if you bank so much money, whats the problem?

#484332  by SammyRails

If you want a broader experience try the NYA. As KFC said, at the NYA you will experience a more hands on form of railroading where at the LIRR youll have a more mundane work environment where everything is basically the same day in and day out. NYA could be a stepping stone for bigger and better things for you, if thats what you choose.

As a freight conductor it will be tough at first. You'll work nights on the west end of the railroad and when youre new the overtime is crappy, so forget the 20 hrs a week. When it comes time to qualify though, youll have to know everything that the lirr guys do since it's their railroad.

Lirr is a more pampered environment, especially for a conductor starting out. You will probably work shitty jobs out of Penn station or flatbush ave nights, but you'll be comfy cozy on an M7 rather than freezing your ass off in a 30 yr old engine with no weather stripping. Rarely will a freight related move come up on the LIRR like a rail train or stone train, so be prepared to work a lot of passenger jobs. If you don't like dealing with people then the lirr isnt for you (as a conductor). I remember once hearing from a wise NYA engineer "freight cars don't talk back".

On the NYA, you wouldn't start as an engineer, you will have to go up through the ranks-first starting as a brakeman. As time goes on, you'll qualify as an engineer. Difference between Lirr and NYA is that LIRR will hire engineers off the street whereas NYA will not. LIRR engineers have the same training as NYA guys but obviously work more passenger jobs and more branches.

THe amount of information (rules) that you will have to understand and apply will be a daunting task. It will probably be the hardest thing youll accomplish in youre lifetime, so be prepared to put your family and personal life on hold for a year. But if you have the passion for railroading, you'll overlook that and soldier on.

In fairness to the LIRR guys, the old timers know their stuff and came from a time where it was a hustling, bustling freight railroad. Not so much slack was given to employees back then either. Its a different story now. There are more pardons given out and they are more lenient when things go wrong. I wouldn't go and say that that the NYA crews are better railroaders than 90% of the LIRR guys, that's not fair to say. Half of the roster on the LIRR now is brand new and they never will run regular freight in their lifetime and weren't taught it the way that you guys were. Two completely different animals. Just because a guy leaves his markers on the rear end of his leading engine doesn't mean he's a space cadet. How many times have I seen that on NYA freight jobs?? C'mon now.

Point is, if you want a more hands on and interactive, challenging environment, than the NYA is the way to go. On the LIRR, you'll get paid a lot more, but you won't have much of a varied job. Of course, with 6,500 employees, the LIRR is a great place to meet new people and advance to different positions. Not to mention the great benefits and pension. Some positions, like Engineer for example, have two pensions- LIRR and BLE (brotherhood of locomotive engineers). You'll make a helluva lot more money on the LIRR, but its very hard to get hired there, especially off the street. May you consider another route is to take an entry level job on the LIRR like a cleaner or laborer and advance that way after your year's probation is up. That is what many people do. The choice is yours. Submit your resume to lirr too and see if you hear anything back. Good luck with your endeavors!

#484499  by BMT

NYAR - Hard work for less pay
LIRR/PATH/MNRR/ETC. - Less work for more pay
Hey, Jay you left out MTA-New York City Transit - Not so hard work, descent pay/benefits; but HEAVY-HANDED Supervision (less supervision on LIRR/Met-North and PATH).