Railroad Forums 

• NY&A Interchange with Amtrak at Sunnyside Yard?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #83890  by jhdeasy

Does NY&A Railway have switching interchange rights/access with Amtrak at Sunnyside Yard?

Does NY&A Railway have any yards/facilities in western LI where an occupied private car(s) could be parked on visits to New York City. Safety & security would be primary concern.

Pennsylvania Station & Sunnyside Yard are one of the few terminals where Amtrak does NOT allow occupied parking of private cars ... so we are looking for alternatives.

#84041  by jayrmli

Jack:

A few years ago, there was a plan for NYAR to interchange mail from Long Island with Amtrak. I believe there was a transfer point created in Yard A. With the elimination of mail and express, this plan died. I'm not sure after Yard A was torn up if the connection still exists, I'm guessing it doesn't.

As for western points to store your railcar, there aren't many there that would be secure. Take a look at any railcars in the area and you'll see why. The only place I could suggest that you consider secure might be Fresh Pond Yard in Glendale. They do have a security guard on duty.

Since I'm assuming that you plan on having the car occupied, there's another problem you're going to have. NYAR is barred in their transfer agreement from moving revenue passengers. If the car is empty, that's something different, but if it's occupied, now you have LIRR in the mix as well.

Jay

#85886  by rb

I was surprised a few weeks ago to see the lower Montauk "peddler" laid up outside the main Sunnyside building (where the Acelas are usually lined up waiting to enter the tunnels). I guess that wity Yard A ripped up there really isn't anywhere else to park your train.
 #85926  by freightguy

Around 4 years ago or maybe even longer the RS-302(now the 40) brought a new turnout to interchange with Amtrak over by Sunnyside in Yard A. I remember we had to shove the car all the way past the hump. This is on East End of the yard geographically down by the Amtrak shops. This is the only revenue car I can remember interchaning with Amtrak.