Railroad Forums 

• NS power on Iowa Interstate

• For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
 #1313768  by spRocket

Earlier this afternoon, I saw what would normally be a typical IAIS ethanol train roll past on the Metra/Rock Island tracks - except that it had a pair of Norfolk Southern GEVOs instead of IAIS power. I'm wondering if these are borrowed units, or some sort of run-through operation?
 #1315841  by bn13814

spRocket wrote:Earlier this afternoon, I saw what would normally be a typical IAIS ethanol train roll past on the Metra/Rock Island tracks - except that it had a pair of Norfolk Southern GEVOs instead of IAIS power. I'm wondering if these are borrowed units, or some sort of run-through operation?
It is a run-through operation. In late January 2014, IAIS began delivering about 3 (occasionally 4) unit ethanol trains to the NS at East Peoria. Empties return NS train 115 or solid trains of empty ethanol tank cars to either East Peoria or Blue Island. Train 115 originates at Sevier Yard in Knoxville, TN, and usually goes to East Peoria.

When an empty ethanol or 115 train is received from NS at either Blue Island or East Peoria, NS (including some foreign units) power and all is forwarded to Silvis and then turned back to East Peoria on the next ethanol train. For coal trains received at East Peoria, NS power may run through to Cedar Rapids.
 #1316096  by spRocket

Ah, that would make sense, then. That was a string of empties on its way to Blue Island.
 #1317335  by bn13814

spRocket wrote:Ah, that would make sense, then. That was a string of empties on its way to Blue Island.
Loads are eastbound, empties are westbound.