Railroad Forums 

• NS operations at Maumee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#19699  by oregontrunkline

Thanks for the earlier info re NS and TT.

Yesterday I saw one of the trains that serves Maumee Yard as it arrived. I was flabbergasted. The thing had to be at least 100-110 cars long. They doubled it into the yard, cutting it east of the Reynolds Road grade crossing.

I know Andersons and Johns Manville generate a lot of traffic, but what other industries does the yard serve? I'm especially curious about all those high-cube boxcars.

Also, where do the trains that serve Maumee come from, and by what route (s)? Is this train length typical for the line?
 #19735  by MSchwiebert

The Hi-Cube boxcars go to the Ford stamping plant (located west of the Ford Street crossing along Illinois Rd.). As for the routing on these trains, I believe they originate @ Homestead yard in Oregon, taking the Toledo belt between Homestead the former Conrail main (CP286 if I recall correctly). They then take the former CR main from this point across the Maumee river. Near Central Union Terminal, the trains leave the former CR for the former Wabash. The train would then pass by the yard @ South Ave, the Toledo Zoo, the former Toledo Terminal crossing @ Gould etc. before arriving in Maumee

#20477  by nycrick

Also 84 Lumber on Illinois still recieves by rail and there are 2 businesses at the north end of the Anderson's yard that do some recieving/shipping by rail. One, a warehouse?, is on Perrysburg-Holland Rd. the other, unknown, is on Dussel Dr. In case you've never been in this area the northern part of the yard is behind the Miejer store on Reynolds Rd.

#21121  by MR77100

What line is this that NS operates on in Maumee? I know there was an NKP and two Wabash lines that came together.

#21236  by nycrick

The double track from the Zoo to Maumee was used by both the NKP & Wabash. The trackage still in use is ex-Wabash. The Fall 2000 issue of CLASSIC TRAINS magazine has a article about the NKP line.