Railroad Forums 

• NS local action into NJ from Allentown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1154901  by bluedash2

If I asked this last year, I apologize as I finally will be out to railfan on Sundays in the coming weeks in that area. Isn't there a local that runs into NJ via the Lehigh Line on Sundays? I saw the March Railpace with a GP59 at the Manville Water Tower and is that local one of them and when do those locals run? While I don't expect to see the GP59's all the time, lol, I do want to catch other local action outside of South Jersey. Any help is appeciated.
 #1155128  by ccutler

There used to be a local that ran wed and Sun from Allentown almost to Manville, servicing the three remaining customers...a grain business just east of the tunnel, BR&W, and Air Products in Hillsborough. I have long since lost track of the local's schedule since I have been out of the area for a while. Also, the large transload operation that started up near USA 206 may have altered the local's scheduling.

Please let us know what you find out.
 #1155687  by blockline4180

riffian wrote:Does the H65 serve any customers between Phillipsburg and BASF in Washington??

I think one near Stewartsville... Forgot the name though!!

Once BASF in Washington closes I would imagine they won't go Washington 6 days a week anymore.... Probably will be down to 3, if that.
 #1161163  by bluedash2

chuxter26 wrote:The local from Allentown to Washington is the H65.....Runs Mon-Fri....The H74 makes the trip on Sundays.....
Sorry I've been busy and not able to get to a computer but thanks chuxter. Any idea on what time H74 runs?
 #1161234  by NYS&W142Fan

The H-76 runs Tue, Thur, and Saturday on the Portland secondary. Usually they go through Phillipsburg around 10 to 11 am, barring any holdups. On several occasions, I have seen the Black River 752 waiting for them by Union Square on the BelDel.
 #1163358  by bluedash2

chuxter26 wrote:The H74 would probably arrive in Washington late morning-early afternoon on Sundays......
Ok, sounds good. I won't be getting up there this Sunday (Greenberg's Show in Wilmington, DE, lol) but most likely next, weather permitting. Are there any particular good spots to railfan this train? I will use google maps to get there as I will be making the trek up from South Jersey. How far time wise from Trenton? Thanks in advance (I'm about 40-45 min below there down 295).....
 #1164877  by PVRX1

H-65 MTWRF Washington Secondary to Washington, NJ - local work and transfer with H-02 from Dover; may not make round trip each run; crosses into NJ not to long after H74/76 comes across and up the Portland.
H-70 a/n extra crew any assignment
H-71 SuMTWR Portland Secondary to Martins Creek, Pa - local work and ConAgra, evenings, my go to Belvidere, doesn't always work every night
H-74 M Lehigh Line to Hillsborough, NJ - includes CPS, BR&W interchange, Aeropres work, usually at BRW by noon
H-74 T Portland Secondary to Portland, Pa - local work, may go to Belvidere, D-L interchange, BDRV interchange; crosses into NJ between 10 and 11 on average
H-74 Su Washington Secondary to Washington, NJ (same as H65 weekedays)
H-76 WF Lehigh Line to Hillsborough, NJ - includes CPS, BR&W interchange, Aeropres
H-76 RSa Portland Secondary to Portland, Pa (same as H74 Tuesdays)
H-76 Su Lehigh Line to Manville, NJ - works CPS and Manville / BRI trash facility
H-78 a/n extra crew any assignment
KH-05 / BDRV- ## TRSa Bel Del line again sees regular freight service, Easton side is more as needed
 #1165297  by ccutler

Thanks PVRX1 for posting the schedule of locals, it is very helpful.

A few questions:
What/where is CPS? Is it the transload in Hillsborough?
What happened to the grain/feed customer near Jutland? Is it long gone and I didn't notice?
How often is the BRI trash facility serviced? it looks like only Sunday's from your list but I could be misreading it.
 #1165384  by bluedash2

My many thanks too. After my last post, I realized this coming Sunday is Easter, so I doubt they'll run? Does the H76 go ahead of or follow the H74 on sundays? I didn't know there are two sunday locals.