Railroad Forums 

• NS and the Riverfest

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#25619  by nolifeCRchaser

I know that most of you enjoy hearing about NIMBY stories, so here is one. I had just heard something about this "riverfest" event going on tomorrow and apparently the deputy mayor of Secaucus came into Croxton Yard and had threatened to shut down NS if we had the County Road crossing blocked. I doubt that he has any kind of power to do anything to NS about trains crossing the road, but I would like to see this guy try and stop us from working across County Road tomorrow. What is he going to do jump in from of the 212 when they're yarding the train and tell them to stop? This "riverfest" is to take place at the park on the Hackensack River adjacent to the old Boonton Line and DB draw, which was and kinda still is a good area for railfanning.
I do have a question that no one has yet answered...What exactly is a "riverfest"?

#25647  by trainfreak

Maybe this Riverfest is some sort of town celebration by a river? Whats the reason for it anyway?

#26488  by njt5140

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! An enviornmental fest in the Meadowlands!!! Now that's FUNNY!!!! LOL

#26576  by Ken W2KB

Perhaps you don't realize it, but the meadowlands are one of the most significant habitatats for many species of wildlife along the east coast.
See for example:

http://cimic.rutgers.edu/meri/

#26614  by james1787

What ever happened? Did the police and NIMBY's impound the NS Diesels and throw the engineers in jail? Or was it an uneventful day and the NS operated as normal?

#26914  by nolifeCRchaser

So the Riverfest is a celebration of the Hackensack River? That's funny. Maybe I am missing something here, but is there something about the Hackensack that makes it better than any other rivers? I understand it is a big wildlife habitat, but so are many other rivers in New Jersey that don't have a festival in their honor. On the topic of NS and this Riverfest, I was not working at Croxton that day and one of my coworkers who was working between Croxton/Oak Island/E-Rail said the only problems on saturday were when the NS 212 came in and tied up the road for a little while. The deputy mayor complained again on monday morning. In my opinion, that guy should be locked up for making threats to the railroad. I know I would be if I had said the things that he said. There was a tresspasser issue on sunday morning which involved two guys driving through the yard in a Jersey City paramedics truck looking at trains. Thats another story.