Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1010455  by Miz860

If you felt confident during your interview I would not worry I was last to go and my interview was also short and I got the job. Keep your head up.
 #1012142  by kyman1978

This is to Miz860 and Fightar

I was at a recruting session for Cincinnati 1-20-12 and got two interviews that day. The second interview went well and the person said we will call you in 3-5 days. My five days as expired. How long did you two wait for a call?
 #1012208  by fastvsix

Hey kyman, was this an open session in cincy or was it an invite from their online job page? If it was a job you applied for, was the app from before or after Jan 5 when they reworked their website? Sorry for the questions. I have been trying for awhile to get an invite from them. I realized I missed an open session in December about a week afterwards. Still not happy about that and if I missed another one.....well I will be even more pissed lol. Thanks!
 #1012408  by Miz860

5 days exactly for me. If you are selected you will get a phone call if you are not selected you will get a email. Good luck bro.
 #1012539  by damdamjr

I received a conditional offer in October 2011 and still haven't heard anything. I completed my med and background check shortly after my offer. I called HR right before Christmas and they said everything looked good just for me to wait for the call. Does anyone know how long it takes? I have heard that it is a waiting game and that no news is good news.....
 #1012836  by Miz860

12/22/2011 - I applied for a conductor position in Philadelphia, PA for NS
12/30/2011 - I recieved a e-mail for a recruiting session with NS it is on 1/11/2012
1/11/2012 - 44 people showed up to the recruiting session, 11 of us were interviewed
1/16/2010 - I recieved a conditional offer of employment from Norfolk Southern
1/17/2012 - I completed my physical for Norfolk Southern
1/31/2012 - I just sent in my supporting documents for my disabilities from the military. Anyone know how long this process might take for them to decide if I'm fit for the job or not?
 #1015004  by jmmathes

Hey guys,
I am actually asking a few questions for my fiance. He filled out the application about a month ago. He recently recieved an email inviting him to a hiring session for a conductor postition with NS in GA. He is very nervous and wants the job bad. He's worried about the test.. is there any info you could share to make him more confident and prepared. And what should he wear? Would khakis and a button up shirt with a tie work or should he get a suit?
 #1015939  by Miz860

Well everyone my hiring process is unfortunately over. Apparently serving our country and being hurt while doing so has caused for me to be disqualified for a conductor position at this time. I am very upset about this I tried to call HR to appeal the medical departments decision but never heard back from them. Any advice?
 #1016029  by matawanaberdeen

Miz860 wrote:Well everyone my hiring process is unfortunately over. Apparently serving our country and being hurt while doing so has caused for me to be disqualified for a conductor position at this time. I am very upset about this I tried to call HR to appeal the medical departments decision but never heard back from them. Any advice?
Dude this company is run by a bunch of A-holes. Its a terribly run company and it hates their employees. Too many stories to not come to that conclusion. Try for CSX in your area. Thank you for your service and don't sweat these jerks.
 #1016058  by dr07

Hi all.

I just got this over the weekend:
"...After a competitive review of your application, we invite you to move forward to the next step in our hiring process, the Norfolk Southern Management Assessment...."

I have since taken the Assessment. Does anyone know what would be the next step after the test is taken?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
 #1016109  by gp80mac

So, you gave up on NS, matawan?

Welcome to railroad life. It's an employer's market - they get to be extremely picky over whom gets picked.
 #1016222  by matawanaberdeen

After the way my friend was treated by this awful company, I wouldn't work for them. They need to get a grip on life and stop being so hostile to their employees. Its a disgrace and its not how you attract the best and most dedicated employees. Every single guy I have come into contact with from their is miserable. I met a guy the other day, he stressed and you can see it on his face. Now I will say this, this is in NJ but they sound bad every where. Just my two cents. I'm sorry if I offended anyone but this is the only conclusion I can come to. I also talk to an ex BLE guy sometimes and he tells me how bad it is there.
 #1016245  by gp80mac

First, all railroaders love to bitch. It's our national past time.

Second, you always forget the boring or good days and remember the bad.

Third, for every one RRer that is also a foamer that posts online, there are hundreds that are going to work, making money and are doing ok. You just don't hear about them here.

Yes, there are better jobs, but there sure are a lot of worse ones.