Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Derails in Columbus Ohio

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#379526  by Wisconsin Railfan

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.a ... -0001.html

Investigators are trying to determine what caused a train to derail on the city's south side late Monday night.

Five cars of a Norfolk Southern train derailed between Alum Creek Drive and Fairwood Avenue, NBC 4's Tacoma Newsome reported.

Hazmat crews were called to the scene because a couple of cars were hauling sulfur, but authorities said the chemical posed no threat to residents.

One worker at a nearby business said he saw the whole thing happen.

"The guy next to me was like, 'That thing's derailing,'" said Ken Larue. "Then sure enough, we saw the first car roll and we just started running."

Several roads in the area were closed following the crash as a precaution.

The investigation is ongoing.

#395784  by h81627allegheny

That is one of the crews I work with out of Portsmouth and from what I understand the rail spread and caused the derailment.

Dave