Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#976349  by metraupwest

I rode on the UP recently and noticed that the cab car (8400) I was riding on had a K3 horn as well as on several other 8400's. Are they standardizing with the 8500 series or did someone simply decide they didn't like the horn anymore. Can someone fill me in? I really liked the sound of the 5's vs the 3's.
 #976381  by doepack

8400 is one of the recently renovated cabs, currently being performed by California Ave. shops, and horn replacement is probably part of the deal. By my unscientific estimate, I'd say they've done about 20% of the fleet by now, and as more renovated cabs emerge, we'll be hearing less of the old and more of the new. I'm not much of a "horn" person, but I do like how the renovated cars are coming out with the exterior car numbers in a more rounded, "Helvetica-ish" font, instead of the "block" style they wore previously...
 #976497  by metraRI

doepack wrote:8400 is one of the recently renovated cabs, currently being performed by California Ave. shops, and horn replacement is probably part of the deal. By my unscientific estimate, I'd say they've done about 20% of the fleet by now, and as more renovated cabs emerge, we'll be hearing less of the old and more of the new. I'm not much of a "horn" person, but I do like how the renovated cars are coming out with the exterior car numbers in a more rounded, "Helvetica-ish" font, instead of the "block" style they wore previously...
Rehabs are actually being done at 47th Street to both 7400 and 8400's.. and indeed all horns are being replaced to K3's. The cars take a few runs on RI before being sent back to home districts, however they have not had the 8400's leading, rather just placed mid-train. 8460 is one of the most recent completions, the number font did not change on this particular car. All rehabs are also getting LEDs annoucement boards on the inside as well as the rubber buffers on the car ends.
 #976627  by doepack

metraRI wrote:
doepack wrote:8400 is one of the recently renovated cabs, currently being performed by California Ave. shops, and horn replacement is probably part of the deal. By my unscientific estimate, I'd say they've done about 20% of the fleet by now, and as more renovated cabs emerge, we'll be hearing less of the old and more of the new. I'm not much of a "horn" person, but I do like how the renovated cars are coming out with the exterior car numbers in a more rounded, "Helvetica-ish" font, instead of the "block" style they wore previously...
Rehabs are actually being done at 47th Street to both 7400 and 8400's.. and indeed all horns are being replaced to K3's. The cars take a few runs on RI before being sent back to home districts, however they have not had the 8400's leading, rather just placed mid-train. 8460 is one of the most recent completions, the number font did not change on this particular car. All rehabs are also getting LEDs annoucement boards on the inside as well as the rubber buffers on the car ends.
My mistake, thanks for clearing that up. Hard to believe those cars have been around for more than a decade already...