Railroad Forums 

• NJT Mandated to Spend Money on "Art"

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1334303  by ryanov

I notice most of the art in the system, and appreciate the fact that it is there. Thank goodness you people weren't around in the Pennsylvania Railroad era or we'd have cinder block stations all over the system. Must everything be ugly and awful? You want to complain about money, try complaining about the increasingly insufficient state support for the transit system. Proper support for NJT could keep fares down AND include art into structures. Everything can be done more cheaply. I don't know why that's the default argument.
 #1334554  by philipmartin

NJT will bring music to your commute this summer. I hope the people running this know what great acoustics Morristown station has. I worked there for sixteen years and heard live music in there several times. The waiting room ceiling is a good two stories high and magnifies the sounds. Photo from Wiki.
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/201 ... ummer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1336540  by patcat88

Without an art budget, your train or station will be as functional as a prison. Mumbai Commuter EMU built between 2007 and 2011. The floor is diamond plate to match the esthetic of the walls and ceiling.
 #1338024  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:
talltim wrote:I like it (although not the base)
I suspect you would approve of this at my local station more
George Stephenson Profile by Non Paratus, on Flickr
Although the base is very similar :-D
It's very good; it's realistic. As a rail fan, it has special interest for me, including the model of an early locomotive he is holding. Even the wheel he is standing on is ok, it's flanged.
Here's Brunel in Paddington. I'm not sure that it makes the operation more efficient, but as a Brunel fan I greatly appreciate it.