Railroad Forums 

• NJT HOBOKEN TERMINAL ACCIDENT THREAD

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1402757  by Hamhock

MOD NOTE PLEASE NOTE! WE HAVE EMPLOYEES, FRIENDS, AND FAMILY THAT WORK NJT. COMMENTS MUST BE CIVIL AND FACT-BASED AT THIS TIME OUT OF RESPECT FOR FELLOW RR.NET MEMBERS AND PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THE CRASH. SHENANIGANS WILL BE MET WITH A SWIFT SUSPENSION.

Mod note over. Below is from the original post.

Train has hit the terminal building.

Image says it all:
Cthegg6XYAAlcM_.jpg
 #1402764  by SwingMan

Terrible event. I pray for everyone involved.

Could someone acknowledge that speed within the limits of the station is 5mph?
 #1402770  by DutchRailnut

yes that is were they have the Bumping blocks ;-)

Cab signal can not stop a train unless its overspeed, the train was traveling at less than 15 mph .
 #1402775  by james1787

Wow, this is terrible. They are saying 100+ injured. Prayers to all involved..

My coworker has a friend or two who were on that train.. thankfully they are only a bit shaken, but ok.
 #1402776  by Hawaiitiki

Being originally from Hillsdale, I knew a person or two on the train and they said it felt like it was going 25-30 mph, but again these are just standard commuting Joes not railwaymen who would really know what speeds feel like.

Missed this by 10 minutes this morning. Took ferry instead to the city. Only thing, aside from busses, running right now into the city. WTC-HOB path down.
 #1402777  by MCL1981

How do you know the train was going "less than 15mph"? Or are you saying that if the train was going more than that, it would have been violating the cab speed and a penalty application would have occurred?

I'm having a really hard time picturing an engineer coming into a platform fast enough and totally zoned out enough to not stop. It's not like missing a red signal. It's a station, kind of big and obvious.
 #1402778  by Bramdeisroberts

This just popped up on my scanner apps. Luckily, from the sounds of it, it went just about as well as these sorts of things can go. My thoughts are with everyone involved.

Hopefully the MCI responders are overwhelmed with greens, and nothing else.