Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#685329  by kevikens

I will be making my annual West Coast, Bay Area, visit to my daughters in July. Last year I tried the Niles Canyon area, the station at Centerville and east to Sunol. I caught both Amtrak and the Altamont train in Fremont but had a hard time finding a spot to photograph from in the Canyon itself. I also noticed two parallel tracks separated by a creek but though the rails looked used nothing was running. I think one side is a tourist railroad. What I am looking for is a spot like the ones in the old Espee books that show cab forwards running through the canyon, maybe across a creek. Also are there any locations in Fremont where I might see both commuter and freight on the same line. I am thinking maybe the location of the old Niles tower, if I can find it. Would that be a good spot for this ? Thanks a lot.