Railroad Forums 

• Newark "Roseville Cut"

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#9223  by bonaire

Hi all. I know that in the early 1900s the E-L (or whatever it was called then) eliminated their Newark grade crossings. In the Roseville section of Newark this resulted in a cut from near downtown to about 14th Street. I am curious how this was accomplished. Was the cut made alongside existing tracks, then new tracks laid in there? It would seem like too long a project to disrupt service on those heavily traveled lines. I'd appreciate anyone pointing me to info or photos of this.

John F. Crowley
Newark

#10386  by Tri-State Tom

John -

This was/is along the Lackawanna ( DL&W ) main line or it's Morris & Essex suburban electrified line if you will.

Tom Tabor's priceless 2-volumn set addresses the elevation project in both pictures of work in progress as well as in narrative. I don't believe he has specific pictures of the Roseville area so I can't say for certain how the cut was constructed while maintaining service. However, judging by how the railroad did this further west at Summit, a temporary ROW was probably maintained up at street level - probably the eastbound side - as the cut was under construction.

#10455  by bonaire

Interesting stuff, Tom. Many thanks. I tried to find the name of that gentleman's book but couldn't come up with it. What's it called?

#10483  by JoeG

Thomas Taber wrote a 3 volume history of the Lackawanna. The first volume is called "The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad in the Nineteenth Century." The second and third volumes are called "The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad in t he Twentieth Century." The set has been reprinted and is for sale at the Steamtown bookstore. (That's where I got mine.) Their phone number is (888) 693-9391, x5213.

Any serious Lackawanna fan must own this set!

#12415  by bonaire

Thanks, Joe.