Railroad Forums 

• New York Shortlines in Color

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#897948  by BSOR Patarak

The latest publication including the A&A is available as of February 1st, 2011.

http://www.morningsunbooks.com/new.html#february1

It is Volume One of a two volume series with the first covering Shortlines beginning with the A's to the M's. The A&A has excellent coverage of 15 pages and 30 photographs. As you know, Morning Sun is known for they're color photos and this one covers the shortlines from the 50's up to today. The A&A section was helped out by Ed Lewis with some wonderful shots. The pictures include both freight and the tourist operations. For the student of shortline railroads of NY, this is a must have. Though I'm biased, the A&A section has a good variety and I like the Bath and Hammondsport as well.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's review of the book. I just received my copy and will sit down to read it cover to cover....
 #923749  by march hare

Great photos, but God-Awful captioning.

It seems that the ancestry of every engine is listed in parentheses, EVERY time the engine appears in the book. Some of this information is repeated three times. This makes it nearly impossible to read the captions for their actual content--the sentences are so broken up be extraneous parentheticals that you can barely make out what the author was trying to get across.

That said, I really loved the BEDT coverage, and the extended coverage of the Genesee and Wyoming. Also liked the fact that rolling stock, MW equipment, and other non-locomotive subjects were included.
 #1006136  by joesbag

Got the book for Christmas. I echo other's comments here about the photos and other information details about each road. Of course I liked the A&A coverage very much; also liked the Genessee & Wyoming and the Dansville & Mt. Morris info having attend Geneseo for college. I plan on picking up Volume 2 when it's available.
 #1034718  by Old & Weary

Now that vol. 2 is apparently out, I'm wondering if anyone has found it is any better than Vol.1 which was, in a word, awful, outside of the photos. There also did not seem to be much content or insight on most of the railroads. I'm totaly in agreement with March Hare and wound up only reading the last part of the captions. There was no comparision with Mike Zollitsch's work in the BR&P books or Mike Bednar's LV Morning Sun Books which are great. I've found that Morning Sun's books very widely in quality and seem to be pumped out at the rate of two per month no matter what errors, misprints, or poor writing they contain. It's best to check them first before buying.