• New York Central Nickname...

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by rlsteam

I'll try, off the top of my head.

1. Serves the South -Southern Railway System
2. Route of the Streamliners - Chicago & North Western
3. Serves the Nation - ??? Maybe the B&O, "Linking 13 Great States with the Nation"
4. Route of the Eagles - Missouri Pacific
5. Main Street of the Northwest - Northern Pacific
6. Everywhere West - Burlington Route (CB&Q)
7. Route of the Zephyrs - Burlington Route (CB&Q)
8. Main Line Through the Rockies - Denver & Rio Grande Western
9. Main Line of Mid-America - Illinois Central
10. George Washington's Railroad - Chesapeake & Ohio
11. The Road On The Move - ???
12. The Friendly Service Route - ??? The Illinois Terminal had something similar
13. The Route of the Dashing Commuter - ??? Maybe the Long Island
14. Follow the Flag - Wabash
15. Green Mountain Gateway - Rutland

by va3ori

Not bad at all. You get 10½ out of 15 for this (the half-point deduction because of the "maybe" attached to the correct answer for #13!). You missed 2, 3, 11 & 12. Mind you, I kinda fudged on #2. The road I was referring to has a much more common, and I think powerful, slogan. You may argue for C&NW but I don't think you'd win because they were specific about which streamliners they were the route of; namely the "400's." The slogan "Route of the Streamliners" was often found on their boxcars, by the way. Someone please correct me if I blew this one!

cheers,
Ori

by RussNelson

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "The Hojack". It wasn't a nickname for the entire NYC, but certainly part of it.

by Otto Vondrak

You said it yourself- that was a nickname for just one division of the NYC, not the whole route. Every division and branch had a nickname of some sort.

by rlsteam

Well, then "Route of the Streamliners" must have been the UP which shared the "City" Streamliners with C&NW and SP -- the "Overland Route."

by Dieter

You forgot my father's favorite;

Denver & Rio Grande Western -- TWO STREAKS OF RUST! :-D My father used to call the Putnam Division "Two Streaks Of Rust" until it was torn up, even after. Ever hear that one?

Also, CN, the "Lazy Three Route", which is one I've NEVER HEARD IN MY LIFE BEFORE SEEING A PATCH MADE IN THE USA. I never ran into a Canadian who worked for the line all their lives who ever heard of it either.

Possible names for the New York Central? "The "T"Bone Route", since it was a large "T" from east to west with that pesky "Spur" connecting New York City with Albany. It would also infer the richness of the region it served by equating it with a choice cut of meat.

How about "THE EMPIRE ROAD" or "THE EMPIRE ROUTE" or "THE METROPOLIS SPEEDWAY"?

Anybody else?

D/

by Dieter

Though interesting, we've been mixing up SLOGANS with Nicknames.

Nickname = "The Central".

D/
  by trainman1988

Your all right, no negative nick names stuck to the NYC and the Central was the only one I ever heard. I hired on the NYC just prior to the merger with the PRR as a trainman. My home divison was the Chicago Division between Avon, IN through Greensburg, IN to Cincinnati/Sharonville, OH. It was a pleasure working for them but after the merger with the PRR and as the years went by the pleasure disappeared. When short handed NYC men would be called to work the PRR lines which was a was a nightmare. The work rules were terrible and they worked under a steel fist scared to stand up to the company even when required to perform work against their contract agreement. You are right, the NYC was respected. The officials took care of their men and we took care of them.
  by erie2521

To answer one of the question marks in the original post that started this thread, The "Friendly Service Route" was the Erie-Lackawanna. Ted

Re:

by wjstix

cw cabin wrote:Thats correct, Big 4 Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and St. Louis. (CCC&St. Louis)
Well, that was one of several railroads that NYC took control of over the years. That's why you see "New York Central System" on some engines. If they weren't directly owned by NYC they had the "System" lettering along with sublettering for their railroad (like P&LE or B&A). "Big Four" was a nickname for the CCC&St.L which became a subsidiary of the NYC, but it was never the nickname of the New York Central as a whole.

p.s. Not a nickname, but it's interesting how the term "The Great Steel Fleet" referring to heavyweight passenger cars is connected to the NYC. I believe they used it in advertising in the steam era(?) On the surface it could refer to any fleet of heavyweight cars, but when you hear it you only think NYC.
  by gmpullman

... and speaking of nicknames!
It just makes my skin crawl when I heard the narrator of one of the more popular railroad video producers (emerald amphibian) mention the Twentieth Century Limited; and he went on to say that New York Central employees affectionately refered to the train as "The TWENTIETH ! "...
I thought to myself... the Twentieth? Again the narrator says, "another day and here we see The Twentieth rounding a curve," etc.
To any self respecting Central employee it was either The Century, or 25 & 26 whatever the case.
Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine!
Thanks for letting me vent!
Ed
  by ExCon90

It's consistent with apparently an unwritten rule that railroad videos must have at least one, and preferably several, place names mispronounced by a narrator who for some reason didn't check with anyone who knew.

The Twentieth, indeed.
  by rlsteam

The example you cite is bad enough, but there are plenty of cases in these videos and DVDs where locomotive types are misidentified -- a Mohawk is called a Niagara, etc. (where anyone with accurate knowledge would know that the Niagara had a high-mounted headlight).