Railroad Forums 

• New York and Long Branch TT

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#686843  by firthorfifth06

I have acquired through eBay a New York and Long Branch TT (effective 4/30/50, revised 6/26/50) showing both PRR service and CNJ service.

Some questions:

Seashore trains and Freehold trains are only shown as far as Matawan. If anyone knows the rest of the runs and if there were any shuttles, please share :)
Southern Div. trains (Sunday round trip) was only shown as far as Red Bank. If anyone knows the rest of the run and if there were any shuttles, please share :)

Finally, the few 800 series Pennsy runs to Trenton via Sea Girt, if anyone has the missing details, please share :)

Did the PRR only serve Deal? No CNJ trains stop there

Thanks!
 #687057  by firthorfifth06

so some google searching landed me at an online version of the 1952 Official Guide which helped my research tremendously....now onto the next question:

In relation to the Sound Shore branch, were Morse's Creek, Petroleum, and Williams and Clark closed by 1950/52? Did the 1200 series Chrome trains make the Hudson County local stops (Jersey City stops, Bayonne stops?)

Further questions on the early 50's ops in general: how often did shuttle trains run (Newark to Eport, Newark to Kearny, JC to Eport, JC to West 8th St.)?
 #687424  by M&Eman

could you provide a link to this online version of the 1952 official guide?
 #688168  by firthorfifth06

http://www.timetableworld.com/book_viewer.php?id=3

use the menu on the page to select any railroad.

it produced a jpg image of the pages. (the pennsy has four parts!)

be warned, these are LARGE image files and your browser may not load them properly. if you get the little image icon, save the image file and open it in paint.
 #688613  by tantg

Hi
If you go back into the timetable and click on Central R.R. Co. of New Jersey, the timetables you are after are on the last timetable page.
Hope this is of help.
Thanks.
 #688856  by firthorfifth06

thats what I used to answer my first post in the thread :) my second questions would need a definitive sound shore timetable, not that condensed one in the official guide
 #688949  by GSC

firthorfifth06 wrote: Some questions:

Seashore trains and Freehold trains are only shown as far as Matawan. If anyone knows the rest of the runs and if there were any shuttles, please share :)
Southern Div. trains (Sunday round trip) was only shown as far as Red Bank. If anyone knows the rest of the run and if there were any shuttles, please share :)

Finally, the few 800 series Pennsy runs to Trenton via Sea Girt, if anyone has the missing details, please share :)

Did the PRR only serve Deal? No CNJ trains stop there

Thanks!
The trains you mentioned were mostly shuttles, starting and finishing at Red Bank or Matawan. Early on there were thru trains from Communipaw, but they evolved into shuttle service. There were a few instances when Bay Head-bound trains would drop a coach or two at Matawan, and these cars would either be coupled to the Seashore shuttle, or would become the train itself, and the reverse for eastbound trains. The Freehold shuttles were exactly that, based at Matawan.

In some cases, the Red Bank-Barnegat shuttle cars would come as a train to Red Bank, then becoming a Barnegat shuttle for the day, the coaches going back north at night as part of another train.

The PRR train to Trenton originally tied up and started from Long Branch. When the LB yard closed, the train tied up at Red Bank, and service began from there.

I also noticed that Deal didn't have CNJ service. I don't know why.
 #689246  by firthorfifth06

At that time (1950), the only train on the southern division was the Fisherman special on Sunday to Barnegat. Otherwise it was all motor coach.

The only freehold trains were the mon-sat Jersey City round trip. No shuttles, no sunday.

Good to know about the PRR 800 train

still looking for the missing info in regards to the sound shore branch