Railroad Forums 

• New York & Lake Erie Railroad (NY&LE) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#662890  by Caseyjim

It is wonderful news that the New York and Lake Erie Railroad is back in the excursion business. I rode that line several times in the 1980s including a trip out of the Salamanca Rail Museum on which the late Bill Fries, former B&O conductor acted as Conductor on that trip in addition to the regular train crew. I had the pleasure of meeting both Bob and Linda Dingman, wonderful folks, all. I think THE FRIENDLY SERVICE ROUTE tag would be appropriate for this railroad. They are everybit as friendly as the late Erie Lackawanna always was. What better tribute to the Erie Railroad and successor EL than this line is. A great railroad it is. I wish them the best of luck and hope to ride it again soon.
 #669457  by Pete D

I had to wait for the FAs at the Conowongo Valley crossing yesterday afternoon. They had aparently just dropped some carloads of scrap next to the feed mill. They look a bit faded but they seemed to be running well. Seems good to see them running again.
 #671922  by tomjohn

Caseyjim wrote:It is wonderful news that the New York and Lake Erie Railroad is back in the excursion business. I rode that line several times in the 1980s including a trip out of the Salamanca Rail Museum on which the late Bill Fries, former B&O conductor acted as Conductor on that trip in addition to the regular train crew. I had the pleasure of meeting both Bob and Linda Dingman, wonderful folks, all. I think THE FRIENDLY SERVICE ROUTE tag would be appropriate for this railroad. They are everybit as friendly as the late Erie Lackawanna always was. What better tribute to the Erie Railroad and successor EL than this line is. A great railroad it is. I wish them the best of luck and hope to ride it again soon.
Yes I agree, as a young lad between 6-15 years old I would always would railfan the NEE-Atlantic and Great Western RR ,NEE- New York Pennsylvania and Ohio RR EX-Erie RR from Jamestown,NY to Meadville,PA I did this after my chores were done at my grandmothers house,which was a treat for me and real rare one at that.. So I say kudos to Mr. Robert Dingman and his New York and Lake Erie RR which gave us a real treat and a very nice tribute to the ERIE RR!

Tom
 #705223  by ATK

There's a posting on their website: "Regular Season June through September has been canceled."

What's up?
 #752008  by thebigham

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/article ... 571792.txt
Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:37 PM EST
Repairs to flood-damaged rail lines may cost $750,000
By Rick Miller
Olean Times Herald
GOWANDA - Permanent repairs to flood-damaged sections of the New York & Lake Erie Railroad could run as much as $750,000. The railroad, owned by the Cattaraugus County Industrial Development Agency (IDA), and operated by Gowanda-based NY&LE, has reopened the Dayton to Waterboro section, but more extensive flood damage to the Dayton to Cattaraugus branch will probably not be repaired until June. IDA board members last week gave Robert O. Dingman, president of New York & Lake Erie Railroad, high marks for restoring service to two rail-dependant businesses in South Dayton and Conewango. "They’ve done a tremendous job repairing the line,” commented agency chairman Thomas Buffamante. The IDA has submitted preliminary repair work on the line to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for some reimbursement. Some of the 12.5 percent local share may come from “in-kind” work by NY&LE crews.
[DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ENTIRE ARTICLES - PROVIDE BRIEF QUOTE ONLY - omv]
 #827414  by Matt Langworthy

thebigham wrote:The July 2010 issue of Railpace reports that RS-3 #28 is being moved to the Erie County Fairgrounds in Hamburg for display.
Both the engine and tracks are BSOR, not NYLE.